I am always on a look out for simple yet interesting dinner recipes. And, this Restaurant Style Dum Aloo is perfect to make on the days when I wish to serve a vegetarian meal. Most importantly, Dum Aloo is a mix well and cook fried potatoes based gravy. And, because it has tomato puree, flavours of cumin seeds and fennel seeds, trust me, this side tastes mouthwatering.
How to make Dum Aloo?
I would say, do not compromise with the ingredients of Dum Aloo. Hence, make sure that you end up frying potatoes before you add curd and simmer them in the gravy. Also, the raw smell and taste of kasuri methi enhances the taste of this spicy, easy accompaniment like nothing else. So, do not forget to add it, okay?
What to serve Dum Aloo with?
Dum Aloo Recipe
Restaurant Style Dum Aloo
Restaurant Style Dum Aloo is a delicious creamy potato recipe which can be easily made at home. Paired with Naan or Paratha it tastes great.
- 4 tbsp Cashew nut
- 1/2 kg Baby potato If baby potatoes are not available, use regular potatoes cut into small pieces
- Vegetable oil For frying the potatoes
- 4 tbsp Mustard oil
- 3-4 Clove
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Black cardamom
- 5-6 Black peppercorns
- 1 and 1/2 cup Onion Finely chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 Green chilli Slit into half
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp All purpose flour /Maida
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Honey - 1 tsp
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp Fresh cream - 2 tbsp
- Soak cashew nuts in a little water for 10 minutes.
- Grind the cashew nuts with a little water to make a paste.
- Keep aside.
- Wash the potatoes and boil them in water, just until soft.
- Do not over cook otherwise they will become mushy.
- Peel the potatoes and fry them in hot oil till golden brown.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot and fuming, simmer the heat and add cloves, cinnamon, black cardamom and black peppercorn.
- Add onion and fry till translucent.
Later, add ginger garlic paste and green chilies and fry till golden brown.
Now, add tomato puree and cook for a minute.
- Mix yogurt, all purpose flour, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add the mixture in the pan.
Now, add the cashew nut paste.
Gently, add a cup of water and fried potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Simmer the heat and cook till oil separate on the sides of the pan.
- Add honey, lemon juice, fresh cream and little more water and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with Naan or laccha paratha.
Are you making this recipe? I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag Whiskaffair on Instagram with the hashtag #Whiskaffair and please give a star rating below ★. You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more such easy recipes.