Ideal for breakfast, supper, and dinners that are easy on the stomach, Sausage Bread Rolls are so scrumptious that they will surely unfold a promising day.
About This Recipe
Sausage Bread Rolls are an apt recipe to serve as a side dish for your everyday meals. Be it breakfast, brunch, or dinner, these are so versatile that it can be served with almost everything, from soups, salads to curries. And of course on their own with some dipping sauce like Boom Boom Sauce, Bang Bang Sauce or Peri Peri Sauce.
Soft and light bread with Sausage inside, they are real crowd-pleasers. Not only with adults, but these are also kids friendly too.
If you are thinking they are very difficult to make, no, this is a very easy recipe. It turns out so much better than the store-bought ones, that you will make them again and again.
So if you like baking like I do, you should definitely not give this recipe a miss.
These Sausage Rolls are,
- Easy to make
- Perfect for everyday meals
- Better than the store-bought ones
Sausage – Here, I have used Chicken Sausages, but you can use any sausage of your choice, be it a Meat Sausage or Pork Sausage.
For the Bread – For the outer layer, we will need some basic bread ingredients such as all-purpose flour, salt, milk powder, sugar, active dry yeast, and butter.
Sesame Seeds – Finally sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. It does add a flavor and even makes the bread look appealing.
Milk Wash – Brushing the rolls with milk with make sure they are browned well and look beautiful. You can even use egg white mixed with little water for brushing the rolls. The color will be even darker and gorgeous.
You can also add in some grated cheese while rolling the bread.
Step By Step Recipe
Mix warm milk, yeast, and sugar in a bowl and let it rest for 6-8 minutes until it froths.
Mix flour, salt and milk powder in the bowl of your mixer. If kneading the dough using hands, mix them in any large bowl.
Add melted butter and eggs and mix together.
Mix the yeast mixture in the flour mixture.
Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on medium speed. If kneading with hands, knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 12-15 minutes.
Lightly oil a bowl and transfer the dough in the bowl.
Cover the bowl with a moist cloth and keep it in a warm place for 2 hours, till the dough doubles in size.
Lightly punch the dough. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Lightly oil your work surface and roll each piece into a ball on it.
Roll each ball into a 25-30 cm long rope
Start to roll it around the sausage
Complete rolling to cover the sausage
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange all the rolls on the tray keeping some distance between them.
Cover the tray with a kitchen towel and let it rest for an hour.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Set the oven on TOAST MODE where both the heating elements with work. ( In my oven it is represented by two parallel lines ). Lightly brush the rolls with milk.
Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, till slightly browned form the top. Remove from the oven and serve hot with ketchup.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have used Chicken Sausages to make these Rolls. But you can use any Sausage such as Pork Sausage or Beef Sausage to make these rolls.
Pork Sausages are also popularly known as Pig in Blanket.
If you are making the Sausage Rolls with Puff Pastry, then Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Next, dust the working surface with some flour and cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares. Now, keep the other three aside and place one square on the floured surface.
Brush 1 edge with egg and add 1 sausage on one end. Roll up pastry to enclose sausage, with an egg-brushed edge on top.
Press to seal the edges. Now place the sealed side down on the tray. Brush the top with egg wash and make a few diagonal cuts with a knife. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until sausages are cooked and pastry turns golden in color.
To make Sausage Rolls, using minced pork, we will have to flavor minced pork before stuffing in the Bread Rolls.
In a bowl, add in minced pork, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, mustard, and parsley. Mix it properly and your stuffing is ready.
Now, roll the dough and cut it into broad strips. Place the stuffing in between and apply egg wash on both sides. Bring both the sides in the middle and seal it using your fingers.
Turn it over and cut the sausage rolls into small sizes. Apply egg wash on top, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and bake.
You can cover the unbaked sausage rolls with plastic sheets and store in the refrigerator for a day or two. Bake it fresh, when you want to serve them.
You can make these Sausage Bread Rolls in bulk, as they freeze really well. If you freeze them, let the rolls come to room temperature and then freeze them in a Ziplock Bag.
Thaw them to room temperature before warming them. You can place them in the oven to warm up or microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Sausage Bread Rolls Recipe
- 1 and ¼ cup Milk (warm)
- 2 and ¼ teaspoon Active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 4.5 cups All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Milk powder
- 2 Eggs
- 50 gms Butter (melted)
- 12 Chicken Sausages
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Mix warm milk, yeast and sugar in a bowl and let it rest for 6-8 minutes, until it froths.
- Mix flour, salt and milk powder in the bowl of the mixer.
- Add eggs and melted butter and mix together.
- Add the yeast mixture in the bowl and knead to form a dough.
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on medium speed.
- Lightly oil a bowl and transfer the dough in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a moist cloth and keep it in a warm place for 2 hours, till the dough doubles in size.
- Lightly punch the dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Lightly oil your work surface and roll each piece into a ball on it.
- Roll each ball into a 25-30 cm long rope and roll it around the sausage.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange all the rolls on the tray keeping some distance between them.
- Cover the tray with a kitchen towel and let it rest for an hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Set the oven on TOAST MODE where both the heating elements with work. ( In my oven it is represented by two parallel lines )
- Lightly brush the rolls with milk.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, till slightly browned form the top.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with ketchup.