Schezwan Noodles are spicy noodles which are perfect to eat as is it or pair with any Chinese style curry. You can make these vegetarian, with chicken, eggs or with shrimp as per your liking using this easy recipe. Here is how to make these at home.
The spice, the aroma, the flavour and the fire are just some of the adjectives that hit us when we think of Chinese food. Am I right?
We have a nostalgic connection with this cuisine reminding us of those tiny, red coloured fast food centres, ever bustling with food fanatics like us.
Here, I have a recipe for the ever favorite Veg Schezwan Noodles that never fail to satisfy our souls and fill our tummies with contentment.
Long, soft noodles tossed and sautéed in spicy sauces and vegetables like peppers, carrot, chillies and more, it is a treat to your taste buds.
It just takes a few minutes of preparation to make these Indian style Schezwan Noodles and while the water is boiling for the noddles, you can do all the prep during that time.
The addition of celery gives these homemade noodles a very restaurant like taste and now with this recipe, the same taste can be achieved at home.
My home made Schezwan Sauce gives this recipe a fabulous spicy kick. Do try the recipe to make Schezwan Sauce at home and see the difference.
In case you have time crunch, you can definitely use store bought sauce.
Enjoy a complete Chinese cuisine menu this weekend with this Vegetable Hot and Sour Soup.
How to make these with Chicken?
To make Chicken Schezwan Noodles, add some boiled and shredded chicken along with the veggies and saute for a few minutes. Keep the remaining recipe same.
Schezwan Noodles vs Hakka Noodles
Both these noodles are dishes from China but they are made in different regions of China is slightly different way.
Schezwan is a slightly spicier way of making dishes and they use a lot of red chilli, garlic and peppercorns in their recipes. Hakka Noodles are generally milder.
Which vegetables can be added in these noodles?
You can add vegetables like carrot, mushroom, broccoli, capsicum, beans, cabbage etc in these noodles. Even paneer or tofu can be added in the vegetarian version of these.
Add eggs and scramble them to make Egg Schezwan Noodles.
You might also like
Step by Step Recipe
Heat oil in a pan.
When oil becomes hot, add onion and garlic. Saute on high flame for 30 secs.
Add celery, capsicum and carrots and saute on high flame for 2 mins.
Add cabbage and cook for 2-3 mins.
Now add noodles on high flame itself and add schezwan sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar and salt to it. Toss everything very well.
Here is how to make Schezwan Sauce at home.
Schezwan Noodles Recipe
- 150 g Plain Noodles
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 cup Onion (Sliced)
- 6-8 Garlic (Chopped)
- 2 tbsp Celery (Chopped)
- 3/4 cup Capsicum (Julienned)
- 1/2 cup Carrot (Julienned)
- 3/4 cup Cabbage (Shredded)
- 4 tbsp Schezwan sauce
- 2 tsp Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Spring Onion (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Chilli Oil (Optional)
- Heat 7 cups of water in a pan and when the water comes to boil, add 3 tsp sesame oil and noodles to it.
- Cook until the noodles are done.
- Immediately strain the noodles and put them in cold water.
- Strain and spread on a platform.
- Apply 2 tsp of oil all over them so that they doesn’t stick together.
- Heat rest of the oil in a pan.
- When oil becomes hot, add onion and garlic.
- Saute on high flame for 30 secs.
- Add celery, capsicum and carrots and saute on high flame for 2 mins.
- Add cabbage and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Veggies should remain crispy.
- Add noodles on high flame itself and add schezwan sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar and salt to it.
- You can adjust the quantity of schezwan sauce according to the spiciness required.
- Toss everything very well.
- Noodles should get heated up nicely.
- Switch off the flame and add spring onion greens and mix well.
- You can add some extra chilly sesame oil in the end for extra flavour.
- Serve hot.