The spice, the aroma, the flavour and the fire are just some of the adjectives that hit us when we think of Chinese food. Us Indians have this affinity for Indo-Chinese cuisine, and how can we not, with delicacies like Schezwan Fried Rice and Gobi Manchurian? We have a nostalgic connection with this cuisine reminding us of those tiny, red coloured fast food centres, ever bustling with food fanatics like us. Here, I have a recipe for the ever favorite Veg Schezwan Noodles that never fail to satisfy our souls and fill our tummies with contentment. Long, soft noodles tossed and sautéed in spicy sauces and vegetables like peppers, carrot, chillies and more, it is a treat to your taste buds. It just takes a few minutes of preparation to make these Schezwan Noodles and while the water is boiling for the noddles, you can do all the prep during that time. The addition of celery gives it a very restaurant like taste and now with this recipe, the same taste can be achieved at home. Enjoy a complete Chinese cuisine menu this weekend with this Vegetable Hot and Sour Soup.
Veg Schezwan Noodles
Veg Schezwan Noodles
- Plain Noodles - 150 gm
- Sesame oil - 2 tbsp + 3 tsp + 2 tsp
- Onion - ½ cup ( sliced )
- Garlic cloves - 6 ( chopped )
- Celery - 2 tbsp ( chopped )
- Capsicum - ¾ cup ( julienned )
- Carrot - ½ cup ( julienned )
- Cabbage - ¾ cup ( shredded )
- Schezwan Sauce - 4-5 tbsp
- Tomato sauce - 2 tsp
- Vinegar - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Spring onion - ¼ cup ( chopped )
- Chilli oil - 2 tsp (optional)
- Heat 7 cups of water in a pan and when the water comes to boil, add 3 tsp sesame oil and noodles to it.
- Cook until the noodles are done.
- Don't over cook them.
- Immediately strain the noodles and put them in cold water.
- Strain and spread on a platform.
- Apply 2 tsp of oil all over them so that they doesn't stick together.
- Heat rest of the oil in a pan.
- When oil becomes hot, add onion and garlic.
- Saute on high flame for 30 secs.
- Add celery, capsicum and carrots and saute on high flame for 2 mins.
- Add cabbage and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Veggies should remain crispy.
- Add noodles on high flame itself and add schezwan sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar and salt
- to it.
- You can adjust the quantity of schezwan sauce according to the spiciness required.
- Toss everything very well.
- Noodles should get heated up nicely.
- Switch off the flame and add spring onion greens and mix well.
- You can add some extra chilly sesame oil in the end for extra flavour.
- Serve hot.
Did you make this recipe?
If yes, do let us know how it turned out in the comments below.
Do share a picture with us on [email protected] or share on instagram with hashtag #CookedFromWhiskaffair and tag us @Whiskaffair
Also if you liked this recipe, Do not forget to rate us at the end of the post.