What is Shakshuka?
I cook the egg for breakfast many a times. However, sometimes when you yearn for a change I count on Shakshuka. Made by poaching eggs in a saucy red pepper, tomato mixture/tomato sauce, Shakshuka is a pleasing North Africa style breakfast/brunch dish. Furthermore, this dish is liked in many middle eastern countries as well.
Although, the ingredients for Shakshuka are pretty much basic. yet this dish tastes exceptional. Because you just need eggs, handy veggies, olive oil, salt and pepper et al to make it on the go and still eat the best meal of the day.
How to serve Shakshuka?
Shakshuka - Eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce.
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Garlic - 8-10 cloves chopped
- Onion - 1 cup chopped
- Tomato - 2 cups chopped
- Bell peppers - 1 cup thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Dried thyme - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 7
- Fresh coriander for garnishing
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron pan. ( If cast iron pan is not available, use ant other pan. )
Firstly, add garlic and cook till slightly browned.
Now, add onions and fry for a minute.
Next, add tomatoes and bell peppers.
Then, add a cup of water and cook till bell peppers and tomatoes are cooked.
Lastly, add salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, honey and coriander powder.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on high heat.
- Add half cup water and cook for a minute.
- Break eggs on top.
- Simmer the heat and let the eggs cook.
- You can cover the pan at this stage.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve with a loaf of bread on the side.