Shakshuka is a North African dish in which eggs are poached in tomato and bell pepper based spicy sauce. Moreover, it is traditionally served up in a cast iron pan for breakfast with some bread to mop up the sauce. So, here’s how to make this simple, easy egg dish at home!
About The Recipe
Made by poaching eggs in a saucy red pepper, tomato mixture/tomato sauce, this is a pleasing North Africa style breakfast/brunch dish. Furthermore, this dish is liked in many middle eastern countries as well.
Although, the ingredients for this recipe are pretty much basic. yet this dish tastes exceptional. Because you just need eggs, handy veggies, olive oil, salt and pepper et al to make it on the go and still eat the best meal of the day.
I also make an Indian version of this dish. We call it broken egg’s curry. Instead of boiling the eggs and putting them in the masala, I break the eggs on top of the masala and cook them which is just loved by everyone.
We ate it with a loaf of garlic bread and it was the perfect side to mop up the sauce. You can also eat it with pita bread or any other bread of your choice.
For some rich accompaniment, you could serve it with crumbled feta, some Vietnamese Iced Coffee or baked spinach and have a treat!
Do read this interesting recipe and have a gala breakfast this weekend.
You might also like
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 8-10 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup Onion (chopped)
- 2 cups Tomato (chopped)
- 1 cup Bell peppers (thinly sliced)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Roasted cumin powder
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 7 Eggs
- Fresh coriander ( for garnishing)
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron pan. ( If cast iron pan is not available, use ant other pan. )
- Firstly, add garlic and cook till slightly browned.
- Now, add onions and fry for a minute.
- Next, add tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Then, add a cup of water and cook till bell peppers and tomatoes are cooked.
- Lastly, add salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, honey and coriander powder.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on high heat.
- Add half cup water and cook for a minute.
- Break eggs on top.
- Simmer the heat and let the eggs cook.
- You can cover the pan at this stage.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve with a loaf of bread on the side.