A classic Southern dessert, Sour Cream Pound Cake is light and fluffy. It is one of the best pound cakes to be turned homemade. With moist and dense interior to the slightly crispy crust, this old-fashioned yet very much popular cake recipe from scratch cake is a crowd-pleaser. So, here’s how to make it at home.
Initially, I used to think that cakes, pastries are only reserved for special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries.
Because a soft and moist pound cake always covers up for you. You may serve it for breakfast or slice it up for high tea. Yes, it fits on all the menus.
And, this Sour Cream Pound Cake is one of the must-try variation recipes for pound cakes if you have never made it before.
In order to make a classic pound cake, in olden days, one pound of flour, milk, sugar, and eggs were used. However, this recipe turned the cake very heavy and dense.
Therefore, to make it fluffy and moist, you must add baking soda, vanilla extract, baking powder.
Traditionally, a pound cake is made in a well-greased loaf pan but you may also use a tube pan or a bundt pan.
There are umpteen varieties of Pound Cake. However, this one is basic and spot on.
Therefore, once you get it right you may experiment and add lime, pistachio et al to its glaze as well.
In a typical Pound Cake with sour cream, we add sour cream more for the softness, texture, and less for the taste. So, do not worry, this cake is not going to turn sour.
Making Sour Cream at home is extremely simple and very very economic. Anyone can make it at home with absolutely no cooking skills.
Check out my post where I have shared a detailed description of how to make sour cream at home.
What does Sour Cream do to a cake?
Sour cream makes the cakes very moist and gives it a great crumb. There is also gives a very subtle hint of sour in the cake making the flavors balanced.
Pro Tips by Neha
- The airier the cake batter, the more fluffy this pound cake turns out.
- Hence, do lengthy beating of the cake batter.
- Use the best butter available. You will see how drastically it improves the taste and texture of the cake.
- Also, make sure to cream the butter and sugar well before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients.
- Do not forget to add sour cream – because it vouches for the softness.
- Dust it with confectioners’ sugar or make a glaze.
- Serve it with fresh fruits, chocolate sauce.
- Fruit compotes and sauces go very well with this cake.
- Lemon curd is also a popular topping for this pound Cake.
- You may also coat it with vanilla whipped cream.
- Caramel is my fav topping.
- Lastly, it tastes best even as it is!
Folks, try this one amazing cake super soon, and trust me, this quick guide of mine shall help you to make it in no time! Give it a read:
Can I add lemon to it?
To make this pound cake with lemon, add 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp lemon zest to the batter along with vanilla extract and keep the remaining recipe the same.
After the cake is cooked, you can pour a lemon glaze over it.
To make the lemon glaze, mix 1 cup of powdered sugar with 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tsp lemon zest until smooth.
You might also like
Step by Step Recipe
Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 10 cup bundt pan.
Mix all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in bowl and keep aside.
Whisk butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (Approx 5-6 minutes on medium high speed using a electric mixer)
Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition.
Add half of the flour mixture and mix until combined.
Now add vanilla extract and sour cream and mix until combined.
Add the remaining flour and mix until combined.
Pour the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes until pick comes out clean.
Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease a 10 cup bundt pan.
- Mix all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in bowl and keep aside.
- Whisk butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (Approx 5-6 minutes on medium high speed using a electric mixer)
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Now add vanilla extract and sour cream and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining flour and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until pick comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into slices and serve.