These sugar cookies are absolute must to make on Diwali. They look beautiful and can be made within 30 minutes. Your kids would just love the home made cookies in form of Diya and Rangoli.
While you are making Diwali Recipes, do not forget to make some mouth watering Moong Dal Halwa and Namak Pare to serve your guests. Also my Panchamrit recipe is an absolute hit for Diwali poojan.
About the Recipe
Cookies are an absolute delight to eat and one of the easiest to bake. You can turn it into a project with your kids for baking. You can craft them for a special occasion very simply.
You can make these cookies in multiple shapes using simple cookie cutter available in the market. I bought these cookie cutters on Amazon in India and they are super useful for Diwali.
I suggest to buy a bunch of these cutters in various shapes and forms and bake these cookies for different festivals like Halloween, Christmas, New Year, Diwali, Easter and more.
Tips from Neha
If you don’t find Cookie cutter in the market, you can actually make one at home using simple cardboard. Just draw a template and cut out the middle portion and use that to give shape to your sugar cookie dough
Do not over mix the cookie batter otherwise the cookies will not keep the shape while baking
You can add extra sugar if the icing looks thin
If the icing looks thick, add water drop by drop
This icing starts to harden very soon, so keep it covered when not using.
For the cookies
- 230 gms All purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 115 gms Butter
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 100 gms Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For Royal Icing
- 1 Egg white
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 & ½ cup Confectioners Sugar
- Food colors (for decoration)
For the cookies
- In a bowl, mix flour, salt and baking soda
- Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy
- Add egg and vanilla extract and whisk till mixed
- Add flour and mix to make a soft dough
- Divide the dough in two equal parts and wrap each part in cling film
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Slightly flour the surface and roll the dough to ⅛ inch in thickness
- Cut the desired shape from the dough using cookie cutters or hand made templates
- Refrigerate the cut cookies for 10 minutes
- Bake for 9 minutes, till the edges are lightly browned
- Cool on a cooling rack
For Royal Icing
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg white and lemon juice for a minute
- Sift the sugar and add to the egg mixture
- Whisk for 2-3 minutes
- Decorate as you want to
kudos to ur festive spirit, the cookies look so cute 🙂 Happy Diwali!
cookies look sooo cute….
Funny that I baked diya shaped butter cookies y’day. Thought didn’t dress them up like urs. They look heavenly good. Very nice creative touch. Happy Diwali.!
beautiful cookies and decoration
those cookies looks super cute and love the way u dressed them up…. they look super cute to eat….
wow!! very beautiful & colourful!!
& Wish you a Happy Diwali!!!!
Wow! the cookies look so good. Happy Diwali!
cookies look awesome… fabulous decoration..
beautifull nd well decorated cookies..perfect one for celebration..
Happy Diwali to you and family, Neha..hey your cookies look so professionally done, I am impressed! What happened to your Daring Bakers’ sign-up, did you hear back from them?
Wishing you and your family a happy diwali…Awesome looking cookies..
Simply mindblowing artwork!
Amazing…These are so beautiful, I think I will use them for decoration than eating!
Happy Diwali dear..
Cookies look very festive,yummy n innovative..
Amazing creativity girl..keep it ip..
Omg,marvellous sugar cookies, fantastic and adorable..
Avika J Chawla
Superb looking cookies..Happy Diwali..
Very creative, adorable and lovely cookies, thumbs up for the outcome, I simply love seeing the pics over and over again, can’t stop admiring.
Wow!! these ones looks great…hope you had a fabulous diwali..
awesome…most beautiful cookies I’ve ever seen…you are awesome!
its my first time on your blog. you have a beautiful space here !
wonderful recipes. will be following u now 🙂
diwali diya painting
All design were cute and the perfect part was its color combination i love them all. Diya’s are the main part to decorate in diwali.