Learn how to make this quick and easy Thai Red Chicken Curry which will get ready under 20 minutes.
What is Thai Red Curry?
It is a spicy Coconut Milk Curry that can be found on the menu of every Thai Restaurant.
Ingredients like Lemon Grass, Ginger, Garlic, Fish Sauce, etc are added in this curry which makes it so aromatic, that the smell of this dish will only make you hungry.
It is a great Gluten-Free Recipe, that can be made for your weeknight dinners or can also be made for your house parties or special occasions.
It is also a great recipe to make on the days when you want to eat something delicious and easy.
You can make it vegan by skipping fish sauce and adding veggies and tofu instead of meat.
You can serve Red Thai Curry along with Jasmine Rice, which also adds a flavor of its own.
You can also serve it along with Sticky Rice, Steamed White Rice or Brown Rice.
What can you add instead of Chicken in this curry?
You can add Shrimp or Fish in this Restaurant quality 20 minute Thai Curry, but if you are vegetarian, you can add Tofu along with other vegetables such as Carrot, Red, Yellow Or Green Bell Pepper, Mushrooms, etc.
How To make Red Thai Curry Paste?
Any ingredient that is made fresh and used in the recipe always enhances the taste and flavor of the dish.
So here, we will tell you how to make Thai Red Curry paste at home. It is super easy to make and gets ready in no time.
- 3 Birds Eye Chilli or Thai Red Chilli, finely chopped (can be adjusted according to the spice level)
- 2 Fresh Red Chillies or Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2 Fresh Lemongrass, discard the outer leaves and chop it finely
- 2 inch Ginger or Galangali, finely chopped
- 5 to 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 Pearl Onions, roughly chopped
- 5 to 6 Thai Basil/ Kaffir Lime Leaves/ Basil Leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Zest or Lemon Juice (optional)
- Salt, as required
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Milk or Water
To make the paste, add all the ingredients in the mixer grinder jar and grind it to make a fine paste. Once ready, take it out in a bowl and keep it aside to use in the Curry.
How to make this curry in Slow Cooker?
If you want to make Red Thai Curry in Slow Cooker, then you can add in all the ingredients at once in the cooker, mix it well and let it cook it for 2 to 3 hours on high or 5 to 6 hours on low.
The best part about slow cooking is, you can make it without using oil.
Also, if you want to thicken your curry, you can take out some curry and mix it with the cornflour.
Add this again in the curry and cook it further for 30 minutes.
It is always good to use less water, only the amount which can cover up your chicken and vegetables, so that the water doesn’t come out of the cooker.
What is the difference between Thai Red and Green Curry?
The difference between both the Thai Curries is their color and the chillies used to make these quick and easy curries.
Thai Red Curry uses Dry and Fresh Red Chillies, whereas Thai Green Curry uses fresh Green Chillies.
I have a homemade Thai Green Curry Paste recipe on the blog which you should check as well.
You might also like
Step by Step Recipe
Heat oil in a pan.
Once the oil is hot, add garlic, ginger, and onion and fry for a minute.
Add Thai red curry paste and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
Add chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil.
Add bell pepper, broccoli and chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar and cook for 2 minutes.
Add tamarind paste and cook for another minute. Garnish with coriander and red chilli. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Thai Red Chicken Curry Recipe
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3-4 cloves Garlic (Chopped)
- 1 inch Ginger (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Onion (Thinly Sliced)
- 3 tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper (Sliced)
- 1/2 cup Broccoli (Cut into small florets)
- 400 g Boneless Chicken (Cut into small pieces)
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cilantro
- 1 tsp Red Chilli (Chopped)
- Handful Basil (Roughly Torn)
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add garlic, ginger and onion and fry for a minute.
- Add thai red curry paste and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add chicken stock and bring the curry to a boil.
- Now add bell pepper, broccoli and chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tamarind paste and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with torn basil and red chilli.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.