Try this crunchy sesame crusted bread Simit, which is quite popular in Middle Eastern countries. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Encrusted with sesame seeds, Simit is also known as Sesame Kebab, Turkish Bagel, Gevrek and Koulouri. It is a circular ring shaped bread prepared with all purpose flour, wheat gluten, active dry yeast and a few more simple ingredients.
It is crusty on the outside, soft from inside and is highly addictive. It is prepared differently in the different regions, but this recipe is my absolute favourite way of making it at home.
Quite popular across the Middle Eastern countries, it is sold on the streets like hot cakes in Turkey and Istanbul. Serve it for breakfast or snack with feta cheese and fresh cucumbers.
Flour – I have used all purpose flour, but you can use bread flour as well. You can also make it with whole wheat flour to give it a healthy twist, but it won’t be as soft as the bread flour or all purpose flour one.
Active dry yeast – Activate it in warm water and then add in the flour mixture. It helps to bread to get soft and fluffy texture.
Wheat gluten – It helps create elasticity and creates a better crumb in the bread.
White sesame seeds – It adds a crusty layer on top, making the bread even more crunchy from outside.
Brown sugar – It adds a slight brown colour to the bread along with a hint of sweetness. You can also use molasses instead.
Others – You will also need salt, vegetable oil, lukewarm water and sugar to make this bread recipe.
Frequently asked Questions:
The only similarity between the two is that they are circular in shape and prepared with all purpose flour or bread flour.
Bagels are thicker and not as crusty from outside as Simit.
Simit is fully covered with sesame seeds from the outside, whereas bagels are not.
Using extra flour can give you tough or hard bread from inside, so make sure that you measure the quantity properly and mix in with other ingredients.
It is best served for breakfast along with fresh cucumbers and feta cheese or Sumac Labneh with a side of piping hot tea.
Have it as a snack with a cold glass of Ayran(Turkish yogurt drink)
Make Simit sandwiches with a stuffing of mozzarella cheese and tomatoes.
You can also serve it on the side with your soups, Turkish eggs, omelette, baked eggs, salads etc.
You can also enjoy it with jam, butter or nut butters of your choice.
Have it fresh for the best taste! Store leftovers in an air tight container for 2-3 days in the fridge or at room temperature, depending upon the climate. You can also store it in a closed plastic bag or wrapped in a cloth in a bread box.
You can eat it at room temperature or heat it in microwave for a few seconds to warm it up.
You might also like:
Turkish Bread Simit
- 3.5 cups All purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon Vital wheat gluten
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1 cup Luke warm water
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoon Brown sugar (Dissolved in ½ cup water)
- 1 cup White Sesame seeds
- Add all purpose flour, gluten, salt and vegetable oil in a bowl.
- Mix well and keep aside.
- Mix lukewarm water and sugar in another bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast on top and mix gently.
- Cover the bowl and keep aside for 10 minutes until the yeast blooms.
- Pour the yeast mixture over the dry mixture and knead to make a soft dough.
- Add more water if required.
- Transfer the dough on a slightly floured work surface and knead for 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer the dough in an oiled bowl and cover and keep aside for an hour until it doubles in size.
- Slightly punch the dough and divide it into 12 equal parts.
- Take 2 parts and roll them in cylinders.
- Join the two parts at the end and braid them together.
- Bring the ends together to make a circle.
- Dip the bread in sugar water and then coat it with sesame seeds on both the sides.
- Arrange the Simit on a baking tray.
- Make all of them in the same manner.
- Cover the tray with a moist kitchen towel and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Bake the Simit for 20-25 minutes until browned.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.