Vanilla sugar is my latest obsession. I use it where ever I have to use sugar as it gives such a beautiful dimension to the dish. I use it for my morning oats and cereals, my milk shakes and cakes and yes, of course the morning Coffee. Here is how to make it.
Vanilla sugar is difficult to buy locally, it costs a lot and is difficult to find, but on a happy note, it is one of the easiest thing that you can make at home. This is one of the tastiest things you can keep in your kitchen.
The sweetness of the sugar and the flavor of the vanilla makes it a versatile addition to food and tea. It can even be substituted with plain sugar in all kinds of baked goods such as Vanilla Coconut Granola, Lemon and Vanilla Madeleines.
It also makes for a perfect gift. Just make a big batch and when it is ready, transfer it in small cute bottles. Tie them up with some ribbons or threads and you have a really cute, inexpensive ready in no time.
The best part of vanilla sugar, is that it is super easy to make as well. All you need is a few vanilla beans and regular granulated sugar. The vanilla beans can be fresh but this is also a great way to use used beans. Here is also a video on how to make Vanilla Sugar.
Recipe to make Vanilla Sugar
- 5 Vanilla beans
- 1 kg Sugar
- Transfer the sugar in a jar.
- Slit the vanilla beans using a sharp knife.
- Add them in the jar and close the lid tightly.
- Store the jar in a cool and dry place for up to 3 week.
- Keep shaking the jar after every week.
- Vanilla sugar is ready to be used.
- To get more intense flavours, you can keep the jar for longer time before using the sugar.
- You can increase the amount of sugar and beans to make more quantity.