Diwali is just round the corner, this festival of Lights is something special for all Indians. It’s an occasion to remove the darkness and bring light into our lives and homes, to renew our bonds with friends and family and to brighten the world around. We have celebrated this festival with much fanfare all years through. I love cooking and for every festival make special recipes. My friends & family love these recipes that I make for them. I remember the times when my mother used to make all the sweets for Diwali and me and my sisters used to distribute them in the neighborhood and enjoy the treats to our heart’s content. My favorite used to be Motichoor Ke Laddu and I used to look forward to them on Diwali.
This Diwali is again going to be special as after a lot of years our family will be together for Diwali. My sister is flying down to meet us for Diwali all the way from USA. I’m looking forward to celebrate this Diwali once again by recreating the magic using Motichoor Ke Laddu. Incidentally I realize that she is taking Lufthansa flight directly to Bangalore and they will serve amazing Laddus in their in-flight Diwali menu, so the celebration is going to start en-route for her. I’m using the Motichoor Ke Laddu to make Motichoor Rabri Parfait.
Here is what Chef Thomas Brockenauer, Lufthansa’s culinary expert for the Asian region had to say on this Diwali edition:
“The much anticipated festival of light and joy, Deepavali is just round the corner! And as a brand that is respectful of and sensitive to Indian traditions, Lufthansa will be offering specially handpicked Diwali sweets on all its India flights this Diwali. This tradition has been followed since the year 2002 and we are happy to announce that this year on the 11th and 12th of November, we will be gifting all of our Economy, Premium Economy and Business fliers Ghee Motichor Ladoos, while people travelling. First Class will be offered a sumptuous cashew roll. We are aware that India has a huge of variety of sweets that we could have offered and choosing these sweetmeats was a tough decision for us but we decided on the sumptuous selection of Ghee Motichoor Laddoos and cashew rolls to provide that homely feeling to our passengers. This is a small gift from all of us at Lufthansa to our wonderful customers and wishing them a tasty and mouthwatering Diwali and a joyous Hindu New Year. Happy Diwali!”
If you too are looking to make something special this Diwali, this is a perfect recipe for you.
Recipe to make Motichoor Rabdi Parfait
- Motichoor ke ladoo - 6
- Full cream milk - 1 litre
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 2 tbsp ( You can adjust the sugar according to your liking )
- Almond and pistachio slivers for garnishing
- Heat full cream milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- When the milk comes to a rolling boil, simmer the heat and let it cook on low heat till it is reduced to half.
- Add cardamom powder and sugar and cook again till the milk is thickened and has reduced to almost ¼th of the original quantity.
- Remove the rabdi from heat and let it cool completely.
- Crumble the ladoos and make a layer of motichoor in shot glasses.
- Pour rabdi on top.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio slivers.
- Make all the parfaits in the same manner.
- Chill in refrigerator for 6-8 hours before serving.
- If you like your Rabdi smooth like me, you can churn it once in a blender.
May this Diwali bring a lot of prosperity to you and your loved ones! Be together, cook together and celebrate together. Not only the special in flight menu, Lufthansa is giving a chance to be with your loved ones this Diwali and it all it takes is a simple wish. Click here to make the wish.