This Sweet and Spicy Mango Chicken is a very popular dish when it comes to Asian cuisine. It is a delicious combination of fried Chicken, ripe Mangoes, Onions, and Bell Pepper. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Mango Chicken is a popular Asian dish which is a delicious combination of mangoes, fried chicken, onions, and bell pepper, all dunked in a spicy-sweet sauce.
In this curry, chicken is marinated, fried until golden brown and crisp, and added to a sauce along with fresh mangoes.
The base of this curry uses sauces a variety of sauce which together forms a sweet-spicy flavor, that goes really well with fried chicken and fresh mangoes. So, if you want to give a new Chicken curry a try, this is a must.
If you want to serve it later, do not add fried chicken and mangoes to the gravy. Keep them aside and mix just when ready to serve. This will keep the chicken crisp and mangoes from going mushy.
This Mango Chicken is,
- Sweet and Spicy at the same time
- A Summer favorite
- Perfect for Weekend Brunch
- A perfect side dish for your Thai meal
Chicken – Cut the chicken into small pieces or bite size pieces for this recipe. You will need boneless chicken for this. I have used breasts but you can use part.
Mangoes – This is the ingredient that makes this dish unique and distinct from other similar recipes. Use fresh mangoes for this one. Make sure they are firm and ripe.
Vegetables – Along with Chicken, I have also use Onions and Bell Peppers. Originally only these are used, but you can add more if you want.
For coating the Chicken – To coat the Chicken, we will need cornflour, all-purpose flour, ginger garlic paste, salt, and pepper powder. We will also need oil, to deep fry the chicken.
For the Gravy – Now once we have fried the chicken, we will need some ingredients to make the gravy, in which we will add fried chicken and fresh mangoes.
To make this sweet-spicy gravy, we will need garlic, green chilies, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, red chili paste, tomato ketchup, rice vinegar, salt, cornflour, and black pepper.
Step By Step Recipe
Mix cornflour, all purpose flour, ginger garlic paste, salt and pepper powder in a bowl.
Add the chicken pieces and coat them nicely with the flour mixture.
Deep fry in hot oil till crisp and golden brown from outside.
Drain and keep aside. I double fry the chicken for extra crispiness. You can do that do.
Meanwhile, heat 3 tbsp oil in a wok.
Add garlic and green chilies and fry for a few seconds.
Add onion and bell peppers and fry on high heat for a minute.
Now add soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, red chili paste, tomato ketchup, rice vinegar, salt, and black pepper to the wok.
Mix cornflour in water and add it in the wok. Cook for a minute or till the gravy thicken and the cornflour is cooked. Add more water if required.
Add fried chicken and mango pieces and give it a mix.
Serve immediately with steamed rice or boiled noodles.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are two ways you can cut a Mango:
Firstly, Peel the entire mango and cut it from the sides leaving the pit. Cube the sliced part and then cube the mango around the pit.
Secondly, Slice the mangoes from both the sides from top to bottom without peeling. Now, make cuts horizontally and diagonally in the halved part leaving the skin of the mangoes intact. Using a spoon, scoop out the mango and throw the skin.
Now, remove the skin around the pit and slice the mango around the pit.
Mango Chicken Curry in Coconut Milk is popular made in Thai cuisine. To make this creamy Mango Coconut Chicken Curry, marinate the chicken as per the recipe, fry the chicken and keep it aside.
Next, heat oil in a pan. Add in onion, bell pepper and cook for about 2 to 4 minutes. Now add in curry powder, ginger, garlic and cayenne pepper. Cook this for about 3 to 5 minutes.
After 3 to 5 minutes, add in fried chicken, mango, coconut milk, tomato paste and bring it to a boil. Cook on low heat for 8 to 1o minutes and its ready to serve.
No, there is no need to cook the Mangoes. Fresh cubed mangoes are added in the curry for the refreshing flavor.
Health Benefits of Mango
Yes, Mangoes are delicious but this Summer fruit also comes with a lot of nutritional benefits. Some of them are:
- It is considered great to have along with your Lunch as a fruit or as a shake, as it is great for digestion. Mango promotes healthy digestion and also treats stomach related issues.
- It also lowers cholesterol.
- This Summer Fruit is also considered great for your skin, as it contains a high level of Vitamin C.
- If you are looking out for your weight, then mangoes even aids weight loss.
- It is even considered good for eye health.
Serve this Mango Chicken along with simple Steamed Rice, Coconut Rice or even with Stir Fried Noodles.
I would recommend you to make this Mango Chicken Curry fresh, as the chicken will not remain crispy and mangoes will get mushy if kept for long.
Mango Chicken Recipe
For frying the chicken:
- 500 g Chicken (boneless and cut into small pieces)
- ¼ cup Corn Flour
- ¼ cup Maida
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Oil (for frying)
For the gravy:
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Garlic (chopped)
- 2-3 Green Chillies (chopped)
- 1 cup Onion (cut into big pieces)
- 1 cup Bell Pepper (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 4 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli Sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- Salt (to taste)
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Mango (peeled and cubed)
- Mix cornflour, all purpose flour, ginger garlic paste, salt and pepper powder in a bowl.
- Add the chicken pieces and coat them nicely with the flour mixture.
- Deep fry in hot oil till they are slightly brown from outside.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil once again until very hot. Fry the chicken pieces one more time until they are nicely browned and crisp. Drain and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tbsp oil in a wok.
- Add garlic and green chilies and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion and bell peppers and fry on high heat for a minute.
- Add soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, red chilli paste, tomato ketchup, rice vinegar, salt and black pepper to the wok.
- Mix cornflour in water and add it in the wok.
- Cook for a minute or till the gravy thicken and the cornflour is cooked.
- Add more water if required.
- Add fried chicken and mango pieces and give it a mix.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice or boiled noodles.