Make Indo-Chinese takeout copycat Veg Hakka Noodles at home using my easy recipe. They come together in under 30 minutes using simple ingredients (vegan).
About This Recipe
Veg Hakka Noodles are basically stir-fried noodles with lots of veggies and sauces. You will find these on the menu of upscale restaurants, food trucks to roadside stalls. These are also a fav to cook for birthday parties, brunches, and potlucks.
Making Indo-Chinese takeout copycat Veg Hakka Noodles at home is a breeze and once you make these using my easy recipe you will never go back to spending your dollars on expensive takeout.
The best part about making these at home is that you get to use the best ingredients, there are no artificial colors added to the dish and you can customize the noodles as per your taste.
Add more or fewer veggies, adjust the sauces as per your taste or load the Hakka noodles with more veggies if you want to make them healthier, it’s all up to you.
Noodles – I used Hakka noodles to make this dish but you can also use egg noodles, soba noodles, or udon noodles,
To make the noodles healthier, use whole wheat flour noodles or gluten-free noodles.
Vegetables – I like to add onions, green chilies, scallion (green onions), carrots, green bell peppers (capsicum), and cabbage to my recipe.
Feel free to add any veggies that you like and skip the ones that you don’t. Mushrooms, broccoli, purple cabbage, zucchini, and bok choy are some other options.
Sauces – To make these noodles, you will need dark soy sauce and hot sauce.
Others – You will also need garlic, ginger, white vinegar, salt, and black pepper powder.
How To Make Veg Hakka Noodles
Cook The Noodles
Heat 5 cups of water in a pan over high heat until it comes to a rolling boil.
Add 2 teaspoon salt and 200 g Hakka noodles to the pan.
Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times in between until the noodles are just cooked (al dente). Do not overcook otherwise, the noodles will become mushy.
Drain in a colander and rinse the noodles with cold water to stop the cooking.
Toss the cooked noodles with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil so that they don’t stick to each other.
Set them aside.
Stir Fry The Noodles
Heat 2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wok over high heat.
Once the oil Is hot and shimmery, add 1 tablespoon minced garlic and 1 tablespoon minced ginger and saute for 4-5 seconds.
Add 2 tablespoon sliced scallion whites and 2 tablespoon chopped scallion greens and saute for 6-8 seconds.
Add 1 cup finely shredded cabbage, 1 cup finely julienned carrots, and 1 cup thinly sliced green bell peppers (capsicum) and saute for 1 minute.
Now add 2 teaspoon dark soy sauce, 1 teaspoon white vinegar, 1 teaspoon hot sauce, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder and mix well.
Add the cooked noodles to the wok and toss well.
Check for salt and pepper and add more if required.
Garnish with 2 tablespoon chopped scallion greens & serve hot.
Pro Tips By Neha
Noodles – Keep an eye while boiling the Noodles. Do not overcook them, otherwise, they will become mushy and won’t taste good.
Vegetables – You can load it with as many vegetables as you want. Thinly slice the vegetables, instead of chopping them. Do not overcook the vegetables. We want them to be crunchy and not soggy. Cook them on high heat to keep the crunch.
Chop the veggies in thin juliennes. I used a julienne peeler for carrots and a sharp knife for capsicum and cabbage.
Cookware – Use a wok or a cast iron pan to make these noodles. Keep all the ingredients ready and just stir fry them on high heat for the best result.
Spices – Adjust the spice level according to your taste. If you want it to be less spicy, you can go easy on hot sauce.
Non Veg Noodles – You can add egg, chicken, or shrimp to these noodles. Check out the detailed recipe to make Chicken Hakka Noodles here.
To make it with eggs, whisk eggs and add them to the wok, and scramble. Take them out and mix them again with the ready noodles.
To make the Hakka noodles with shrimp, add the shrimp to the hot oil and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add the remaining ingredients.
You can serve these noodles on their own or along with any Indo-Chinese starter or a gravy such as Indo Chinese Veg Manchurian, Sweet, and Sour Veg, Vegetables In Chilli Garlic Sauce, and Indo Chinese Chilli Chicken.
You can also serve these as a side dish for your weekend brunch along with Chinese Gravies, Starters, Fried Rice, and a dessert.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container and they will last for a day or two in the fridge. Reheat it properly before serving.
You Might Also Like
Indo Chinese Veg Hakka Noodles Recipe
To Cook The Noodles
- 200 grams Hakka noodles
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For The Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallion whites
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion greens (plus 2 tablespoon for garnishing)
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup finely julienned carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell peppers (capsicum)
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (or to taste)
Cook The Noodles
- Heat 5 cups of water in a pan over high heat until it comes to a rolling boil.
- Add salt and noodles to the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times in between until the noodles are just cooked (al dente). Do not overcook otherwise, the noodles will become mushy.
- Drain in a colander and rinse the noodles with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Toss the cooked noodles with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil so that they don’t stick to each other.
- Set them aside.
Stir Fry The Noodles
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat.
- Once the oil Is hot and shimmery, add garlic and ginger and saute for 4-5 seconds.
- Add scallion whites and scallion greens and saute for 6-8 seconds.
- Add cabbage, carrots, and bell peppers and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add soy sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, salt, and black pepper powder, and mix well.
- Add the cooked noodles to the wok and toss well.
- Check for salt and pepper and add more if required.
- Garnish with 2 tablespoons of chopped scallion greens & serve hot.