Basbousa is a Middle eastern Dessert which is basically sweet semolina cake. It is also called revani or namoura in some parts. Here is how to make it at home.
There are so many sweets and desserts from all over the world, which you can make at home.
Each and every dessert is delicious and have a different taste and flavour to it, making it unique.
While I love indulging in Indian Mithais, there are also days when I crave big time for something different.
So when this craving for a Turkish dessert started out of a sudden last weekend, I thought of trying my hands on something new.
As there are not many places who sells authentic Arabic desserts, I made this delectable Basboosa or Basbousa Cake at home.
Though I was skeptical about the result, it came out just perfect.
So if you also love Middle Eastern desserts as much as I do, learn how to make this Besbousa recipe and surprise your friends and family with this delectable homemade dessert.
Here is the recipe of traditional Basbousa dessert.
What is Basbousa?
Basboosa is a soft and super moist Turkish dessert which is quite popular in Middle Eastern countries and each country has their own way of making this irresistible dessert.
This is basically a sweet semolina cake which is flavoured with coconut and orange zest.
Another beauty of this cake is the sugar syrup.
Once the semolina cake is prepared, the lemon flavoured syrup is poured over the cake, making it more delicious.
The cake soaks up the syrup and makes it very moist.
Coconut is one of the essential ingredients in this dessert, but you can skip the coconut and make a Basbousa Dessert recipe without coconut too.
You don’t require any fancy ingredients for this Arabic dessert, you will easily find them in the grocery store nearby.
How to make Basbousa without eggs?
If you are looking for an easy Eggless recipe, then you can skip eggs in this recipe and increase the quantity of yogurt.
It will give you a soft and moist Basbousa.
This traditional Turkish dish is pronounced as ‘Bass-b-ouza’.
You might also like
Step By Step Recipe
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line and grease a 9×11 inch baking tray.
Add eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk well.
Add yogurt and whisk until combined.
Add melted butter and vegetable oil and whisk well.
Add vanilla extract, baking powder, all purpose flour, desiccated coconut, semolina and orange zest.
Mix everything well.
Pour the batter in the prepared tray.
Using a sharp knife, make diamond shape marks on the batter. Arrange almond halves over the cake. Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven.
To make the sugar syrup, add in the sugar and water in a saucepan. Let it cook till the sugar melts.
Run a sharp knife over the marks once again. Pour sugar syrup over the warm cake and let the cake cool down completely. Take out the diamond shape pieces and serve.
For the Syrup:
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
For the Cake:
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1-1/2 cup Fine Semolina
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest
- 10-12 Blanched Almonds
For the Syrup:
- Add sugar and water in a pan.
- Cook until sugar is dissolved. Sim the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix well. Remove the pan from heat and keep aside.
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Line and grease a 9x11 inch baking tray.
- Add eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk well.
- Add yogurt and whisk until combined.
- Add melted butter and vegetable oil and whisk well.
- Add vanilla extract, baking powder, all purpose flour, desiccated coconut, semolina and orange zest and mix everything well.
- Pour the batter in the prepared tray.
- Using a sharp knife, make diamond shape marks on the batter.
- Arrange almond halves over the cake.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Run a sharp knife over the marks once again.
- Pour sugar syrup over the warm cake and let the cake cool down completely.
- Take out the diamond shape pieces and serve.