Also, I have usually observed that by adding mango to any dessert, it not only becomes tastier but it even looks more royal. That is the reason why people love eating Mango Sandesh and Kesar Aam Srikhand so much! Even a small bowl of Mango Basundi often makes my friends rejoice. Do read the easy recipe of Mango Basundi that I have just shared!
- Full cream milk - 1 and ½ liters
- Saffron - a generous pinch
- Sugar - 2 tbsp ( you can adjust the sugar according to your taste )
- Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
- Mango puree - 1 cup
- Slivered almonds, pistachios and cashew nuts - ¼ cup
- Put the milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- Heat till it comes to a boil.
- Take 2 tbsp milk from it in a bowl.
- Add saffron and keep aside.
- Simmer the heat and let the milk thicken for almost 2 hours.
- Keep stirring in between.
- When the milk is reduced to ⅓ rd, add saffron soaked in milk, cardamom powder and sugar.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Add mango puree and slivered nuts.
- Chill for a few hours before serving..
Keep in mind that basundi with thicken a little more while cooling. So keep the consistency accordingly.
The consistency of basundi is like that of condensed milk.
If you like your basundi very creamy and smooth, just blend it in a blender before adding the nuts for a few seconds to give that silky smooth texture.
Do not blend when the basundi is cold otherwise butter may separate.