Mango Basundi is a traditional Indian milk dessert flavored with mangoes. Here is a tried and tested recipe to make mango Basundi
About this recipe
Also, I have usually observed that by adding mango to any dessert, it not only becomes tastier but it even looks more royal. That is the reason why people love eating Mango Sandesh and Kesar Aam Srikhand so much! Even a small bowl of Mango Basundi often makes my friends rejoice. Do read the easy recipe of Mango Basundi that I have just shared!
- 1 and 1/2 litre Full cream milk
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 2 tbsp Sugar (You can adjust the sugar according to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 cup Mango puree
- Slivered almonds (pistachios and cashew nuts - 1/4 cup)
- Put the milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- Heat till it comes to a boil.
- Take 2 tbsp milk from it in a bowl.
- Add saffron and keep aside.
- Simmer the heat and let the milk thicken for almost 2 hours.
- Keep stirring in between.
- When the milk is reduced to 1/3 rd, add saffron soaked in milk, cardamom powder and sugar.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Add mango puree and slivered nuts.
- Chill for a few hours before serving..
The consistency of basundi is like that of condensed milk.
If you like your basundi very creamy and smooth, just blend it in a blender before adding the nuts for a few seconds to give that silky smooth texture.
Do not blend when the basundi is cold otherwise butter may separate.