Indian cuisine has a lot of options for desserts. You can keep on making a new variety and still there will be some options left to explore. Shahi Tukda takes me back to my childhood. My dad was a big fan of sweets and had to have his share after every meal. My mom always used to keep bread slices fried in ghee in refrigerator and sugar syrup was always handy for making Shahi Tukda whenever one feels like! So it was just a matter of few minutes to churn up a dessert for my dad when there was nothing else. She would just top the bread soaked in syrup with fresh malai and voila!! Shahi Tukda was ready. You can also reduce the milk with some saffron to top the Shahi Tukda. It tastes amazing. Gur Aur Aate Ka Halwa and Besan Ka Halwa are two recipes that can be prepared just as easily.
I try making Shahi Tukda at least once in a month as it is super easy to make and just like my dad, even I have a sweet tooth so Shahi Tukda is just like a blessing! In case you are tempted to try a new dessert, let it be Shahi Tukda. Here’s my mom’s recipe that I follow every time, do read it
Shahi Tukda / Shahi Tukra Recipe
- White bread slices - 6
- Ghee for frying
- Sugar - 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Cardamom - 2-3 pods crushed
- Full cream milk - 1 liter
- Saffron - Few strands
- Rose Water - 1/2 tsp
- Slivers of almonds and pistachios to garnish
- Cut the corners of bread slices and cut the slices diagonally.
- Heat the ghee and when it is hot, deep fry the bread slices till golden brown.
- Remove on a tissue lined plate.
- Heat water in a pan and add 1/2 cup of sugar to it.
- Add cardamom to the water.
- Let it boil for 6-8 minutes.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- When it comes to a boil, add saffron and rose water and reduce the heat and let it simmer till it reduce to half.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Add sugar and thicken it a little more.
- Dip bread slices in sugar syrup for 5 seconds. ( or more if you like softer version )
- Keep them on the serving plate.
- Top with the reduced milk.
- Garnish with almonds and pistachios slivers.
- Serve immediately.