Step By Step Chinese Sweet and Sour Eggplant Recipe
Sweet, Sour, Spice and everything nice! That’s the perfect way to describe this delicious Chinese Sweet and Sour Eggplant. Baingan or Eggplant is one vegetable that leaves us rather confused in the kitchen, it’s a brilliant vegetable to cook with, but sometimes we undermine its potential.
The beauty of the eggplant is that it imbibes maximum flavours from the sauce or gravy it’s put in, so even if the dish is subtly flavoured, it soaks in all the beautiful flavours.
Today I’m presenting to you a mouth-watering Chinese delicacy of Sweet and Sour Eggplant, it’s perfectly crisp on the outside and coated with a generous layer of a delectable Chinese style sweet and sour sauce.
Some of the other Chinese recipes uploaded on the blog are: Spicy Indo Chinese Schezwan Egg Fried Rice, Oriental Crispy Mushrooms, Chinese Style Lychee Chicken and Sweet and Sour Vegetables. Do check out these recipes if you are planning an Oriental Fiesta. This dish is incredibly simple to make and makes for a hearty, flavour packed and rather addictive snack too. The Chinese Sweet and sour eggplant recipe is traditionally cooked in a wok as the vegetables get cooked easily and it seals the heat. However, if you don’t have a wok, you can go ahead and make it on a skillet as well. To make this sweet and sour eggplant dish, the eggplants are cut and fried till crisp, after which the glorious sweet and sour sauce is made using ginger, garlic and onions, to this the cut capsicum is added, followed by the addition of vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper powder for some added heat. Finally the crisp eggplants are added followed by a garnish of fresh spring onion greens. This sweet and sour eggplant dish can be served with a portion of hot rice. Traditionally the eggplant undergo a process called salting before frying to remove bitterness, but in this recipe we’re adding cornflour and this will help give a lovely coating to the eggplant pieces. So what are you waiting for, go whip up this delicious sweet and sour eggplant, you will never again be confused as to what to do with eggplants.
You might also like
Chinese Sweet and Sour Eggplant Recipe
- Eggplant - 1 ( The large variety )
- Cornflour - 4 and ½ tbsp
- Sesame oil - 6 tbsp
- Ginger - ¾ tsp ( finely chopped )
- Garlic - 2 tsp ( finely chopped )
- Onion - ½ cup ( diced )
- Capsicum - ½ cup ( diced )
- Tomato sauce - 4 tbsp
- Red chilli sauce - 1 tsp
- Soy sauce - 1 tsp
- Vinegar - 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder - ¾ tsp
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Spring onion greens to garnish
- Cut eggplant into finger length pieces.
- Coat eggplant pieces with 3 tbsp of cornflour nicely.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a wide bottomed pan.
- When oil becomes hot, place eggplant pieces in the oil without overlapping them.
- Cook them till they become crisp from all sides.
- Remove them from the pan and keep aside.
- For the sweet and sour gravy, heat rest of the oil in a wok.
- Add ginger and garlic to it.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add onion and cook till it turns transparent.
- Add capsicum pieces.
- Saute them on high flame for 2 more minutes.
- Mix all the sauces, vinegar, pepper powder, salt and sugar along with ¼th cup of water in a bowl.
- Add the sauce mixture to the wok and mix well.
- Add 1 and ½ cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- Mix 1 and ½ tbsp cornflour in ¼th cup of water and add to boiling gravy.
- Cook till the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add fried eggplant pieces and mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with spring onion greens.
- Serve hot with fried rice.
Step by Step Chinese Sweet and Sour Eggplant Recipe