Amish Chicken is a creamy chicken dish that is popularly served on Amish bus tours. It is made by cooking chicken raised in Amish style in a creamy sauce.
About The Recipe
Creamy Amish Chicken is a delicious chicken dish that you would get on Amish bus tours.
It is made using chicken raised in Amish style. This means that the chickens are allowed to roam freely and are not confined to small cages. The Amish believe that this allows the chickens to lead a more natural and healthy life.
One of the benefits of Amish chicken is that it is said to be more flavorful than regular chicken. This is because the chickens are able to eat a wider variety of foods and they get plenty of exercise.
If you are looking for a chicken that is both healthy and delicious, then Amish chicken is a great option.
This dish is great and is made for busy days as it comes together in under 40 minutes (most of the time is passive time) using simple ingredients.
It is also great for a quick weeknight meal for the whole family or to serve a crowd. You can easily double and triple it too.
Chicken Thighs – Try to use boneless skinless Amish chicken thighs but if they’re not available, feel free to use the regular free-range chickens.
You can also use chicken breast but they are a little drier in texture.
This recipe can also be made using a whole chicken cut into small pieces.
Flours – All-purpose flour and cornmeal make the base of the sauce.
Herbs & Spices – You will need garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper powder, dried oregano, and fresh parsley.
Heavy Cooking Cream – It makes the sauce rich and creamy.
How To Make Amish Chicken
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Rinse 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs and drain well.
Whisk together 1 cup water and 1 and ½ cups heavy cooking cream and set it aside.
Tip – You can add some spices like salt, pepper, paprika, etc to this mixture to make a more flavorful sauce.
In a shallow bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, ¼ cup corn meal, 2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, and 1 teaspoon dried oregano.
Dredge the pieces of chicken well in the flour mixture, and place them into a 10×9 inch non-stick baking dish.
Pour the cream and water mixture that we made earlier over and around the chicken in the dish.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is browned.
If you have a meat thermometer, then you can check the internal temperature of the chicken, it should be 170 degrees F.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make slow cooker Amish chicken, arrange the dredged chicken pieces in a slow cooker. Pout the cream and water mixture over it. Then slow cook for 12 hours on high heat.
This dish goes great with a variety of sides. Some of my favorite side dishes include mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, green beans, and biscuits.
You can also serve some bread or dinner rolls on the side to mop the creamy sauce.
Amish Chicken recipe also tastes great with egg noodles and steamed rice.
You can make this casserole dish ahead of time and store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to serve, simply reheat it on the stove over low heat until warmed through.
You can also reheat it in the microwave. Just be sure not to overcook the chicken as it will become dry.
You Might Also Like
Creamy Amish Chicken Recipe
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup water
- 1 and ½ cup heavy cooking cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn-meal
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- chopped parsley (for garnishing)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Whisk together water and heavy cooking cream and set it aside.
- Tip – You can add some spices like salt, pepper, paprika, etc to this mixture to make a more flavorful sauce.
- In a shallow bowl, combine all-purpose flour, corn meal, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and dried oregano.
- Dredge the pieces of chicken well in the flour mixture, and place them into a 10×9 inch non-stick baking dish.
- Pour the cream and water mixture that we made earlier over and around the chicken in the dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is browned.
- If you have a meat thermometer, then you can check the internal temperature of the chicken, it should be 170 degrees F.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.