Bourbon Hot Chocolate is nothing but classic hot chocolate spiked with bourbon. It is rich, and creamy and has slight caramelly notes from the bourbon (vegetarian, gluten-free).
About Bourbon Hot Chocolate
Bourbon Hot Chocolate is a rich and creamy winter cocktail drink where the classic hot chocolate is spiked with Bourbon whiskey.
Bourbon is a type of American whiskey that is barrel-aged and is made primarily from corn. It has a spicy caramelly flavor that goes very well with chocolate.
Bourbon also adds a boozy deliciousness to the hot chocolate and keeps you warm on a chilly evening.
This Hot Chocolate with Bourbon is super comforting, made from scratch, and comes together in under 15 minutes.
Make it for your house parties, or holiday dinners, or enjoy it as a dessert after an indulgent meal. Double or triple the recipe for a bigger crowd.
Milk – Use whole milk (full-fat milk) for a rich and creamy hot chocolate. Having said that, you can make it with low-fat, skim, or plant-based milk too.
Bourbon – Bourbon is a whiskey that is primarily made from corn. The flavors of bourbon mingle really well with the rich and creamy hot chocolate.
Heavy Cream – Makes the hot chocolate creamier.
Brown Sugar – Adds a caramelized flavor along with the sweetness. You can also use other sweeteners like sugar, maple syrup, honey, or other sugar-free substitutes like stevia or monk fruit.
Cocoa Powder – I prefer to use unsweetened dutch processed cocoa powder to make this hot chocolate. I like Hershey’s, but you can use any brand that you prefer.
Chocolate Chips – I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe but to make the drink richer, you can use dark chocolate chips too.
Vanilla Extract – Use a good quality one.
How To Make Bourbon Hot Chocolate
Add 2 cups of whole milk, 2 tablespoon unsweetened heavy cream, and ¼ cup of brown sugar to a pan and cook on medium heat until the milk comes to a boil.
Keep stirring frequently to avoid scorching at the bottom of the pan.
Add 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, and ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and cook until the chocolate chips dissolve and the hot chocolate is thick and creamy. Stir very frequently while cooking.
Finally, add ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, and 2 oz (60 ml) bourbon and mix well.
Pour the hot chocolate into serving mugs.
Note – You can pass the hot chocolate through a fine-mesh strainer to make sure there are no fat globules coming into your mouth.
Garnish with whipped cream, marshmallows, and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon, and serve immediately.
Serve it right out of the pan, hot & steamy. Top it with whipped cream, ice cream, marshmallows, or sprinkles to make it more indulgent.
Leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container for 3-4 days, in the refrigerator. While serving, reheat the hot chocolate, top it with your favorite toppings and serve.
Some of my topping favorites are whipped cream, marshmallows, sprinkles, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, and chocolate chips.
You Might Also Like
Bourbon Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 2 cups whole milk (full-fat milk) (you can also use skim, low-fat, or plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened heavy cream
- ¼ cup brown sugar (or any other sweetener you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (or semi sweet chocolate chips)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounce bourbon
- Add milk, heavy cream, and brown sugar to a pan and cook on medium heat until the milk comes to a boil.
- Keep stirring frequently to avoid scorching at the bottom of the pan.
- Add cocoa powder, and chocolate chips and cook until the chocolate chips dissolve and the hot chocolate is thick and creamy. Stir very frequently while cooking.
- Finally, add vanilla extract, and bourbon and mix well.
- Pour the hot chocolate into serving mugs.
- Note – You can pass the hot chocolate through a fine-mesh strainer to make sure there are no fat globules coming into your mouth.
- Garnish with whipped cream, marshmallows, and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon, and serve immediately.