Cajun Spaghetti (Louisiana Spaghetti) is a creamy, spicy pasta recipe perfect for indulging meals. It is easy to make and comes together in under 20 minutes using simple ingredients (vegetarian).
About Cajun Spaghetti
I love to make pasta for dinner; this cajun spaghetti (Louisiana spaghetti) is my current obsession. It’s creamy, spicy, savory, and so comforting.
The best part is that it comes together in under 20 minutes using simple ingredients.
Serve it for special dinners or cozy homestyle meals; this recipe is a sure-shot winner.
The recipe I am sharing today is vegetarian, but feel free to add shrimp, chorizo sausage, chicken, or meatballs for a non-vegetarian version.
Here are some more pasta recipes that you may like
Pasta – Although I make this recipe using spaghetti, you can experiment with other varieties of pasta, such as Farfalle, Penne, Fusilli, etc.
You can also opt for whole wheat, gluten-free, or other whole-grain spaghetti to give it a healthy twist.
Oil – Extra virgin olive oil gives a lovely flavor to this pasta dish. You can also opt for butter for a richer taste.
Veggies – I have used onions, mixed bell peppers, and spinach.
You can substitute spinach with kale and add more veggies like broccoli, mushroom, zucchini, asparagus, etc.
Cream and Cheese – To add that perfect creamy texture, add unsweetened heavy cream and grated parmesan cheese.
Tomato Paste – It adds that perfect tangy-sweet taste to the pasta.
Cajun Seasoning – It adds a distinct flavor to the pasta, making it unique and delicious.
You can either make Cajun Spice Mix at home or use store-bought.
Others – You will also need garlic, salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and chicken broth powder (or vegetable broth powder).
How To Make Cajun Spaghetti
Cook 8 oz (225 g) dry spaghetti per the package directions. Drain and set aside.
Tip – Reserve some water from boiling the pasta. If the final dish gets dry, add this water to fix the consistency.
While the spaghetti is cooking, make the sauce.
Heat 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot, add 2 teaspoon minced garlic and ½ cup diced onions and saute for 1 minute until the onions are translucent.
- ½ cup diced mixed bell peppers
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken broth powder
and saute for a minute.
Note – If adding any protein like chicken, shrimp, meatballs, or sausages, add them at this stage and cook them well before adding the next set of ingredients.
Add 1 cup spinach (torn roughly) and ¼ cup unsweetened heavy cream and mix everything well.
Add the cooked pasta and ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese and toss well using a tong or two large spoons to coat the spaghetti with the sauce.
Check for salt and add more if required.
If the pasta looks dry, add some reserved water from cooking the pasta and toss well.
Garnish with more parmesan cheese and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make it vegan, you can skip adding heavy cream and parmesan cheese and use coconut milk + nutritional yeast instead.
To make it healthier,
1. Use whole wheat or brown rice spaghetti instead of all-purpose flour pasta. You can also replace flour spaghetti with zoodles (zucchini noodles).
2. Add more vegetables to make it nice and filling. If you add more veggies, you can reduce the amount of pasta, too.
3. Replace heavy cream with cashew cream or coconut cream.
Serve this super delicious and oh-so-creamy Cajun Spaghetti on its own with a chilled glass of wine for a comforting meal.
You can also serve garlic bread, open toast, or bruschetta on the side.
I sometimes serve a refreshing summer salad on the side to make the meal more filling and wholesome.
I love pasta when served right out of the pan, so I suggest you make it fresh!
If you have leftovers, store them in an air-tight container in the fridge for about a day or two.
While reheating in a pan or microwave, add a little cream or milk to adjust the consistency, as it tends to dry when refrigerated.
I often boil the spaghetti and store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. It saves me a little time when I want to fix myself a quick pasta.
You Might Also Like
Cajun Spaghetti Recipe (Louisiana Spaghetti)
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti (225 g)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced mixed bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste )
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chicken broth powder (use vegetable broth powder for a vegetarian version)
- 1 cup roughly torn spinach
- ¼ cup unsweetened heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (plus more for garnishing)
- Cook the spaghetti as per the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Tip – Reserve some water from boiling the pasta. If the final dish gets dry, add this water to fix the consistency.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, make the sauce.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add garlic and onions and saute for 1 minute until the onions are translucent.
- Add bell peppers, tomato paste, cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, and chicken broth powder, and saute for a minute.
- Note – If adding any protein like chicken, shrimp, meatballs, or sausages, add them at this stage and cook them well before adding the next set of ingredients.
- Add spinach and heavy cream and mix everything well.
- Add the cooked pasta and parmesan cheese and toss well using a tong or two large spoons to coat the spaghetti with the sauce.
- Check for salt and add more if required.
- If the pasta looks dry, add some of the reserved water from cooking the pasta and toss well.
- Garnish with more parmesan cheese and serve hot.