Corn Chaat is a spicy, tangy, and savory snack made using tender sweetcorn, onion, tomatoes, and a few herbs and spices. This super easy recipe comes together in under 15 minutes and is very healthy too. I am sharing 2 ways in which I make this yummy chaat (vegan, gluten-free).
About This Recipe
Corn chaat is an Indian snack made using sweetcorn kernels, onions, tomatoes, and a few herbs and spices. It is very healthy and filling and great to serve as an evening snack or party appetizer.
If the ingredients are prepared beforehand, this healthy chaat just takes 5 minutes to come together. I make it in 2 different styles at home.
- With Indian flavors
- With Italian flavors
The Indian flavored corn chaat uses chutney’s like tamarind chutney and green chutney while the one with Italian flavors uses Italian mixed herbs and red pepper flakes.
For Indian flavored chaat
To make this Indian street style chaat, you will need – sweet corn kernels, onion, green chili peppers, tomato, chaat masala, black salt, red chili powder, lime juice, tamarind chutney, green chutney, and cilantro (coriander).
Use fresh or frozen corn kernels.
If corn kernels are not tender, then you will have to cook them. You can use frozen corn or cook corn on the cob and shuck later. You can cook the kernels or the cob in a pressure cooker or in a pot over the stovetop. Pressure cooking saves time and energy, so it’s my preferred method.
1. Traditional Pressure Cooker Method – Add the kernels or the cob to a pressure cooker. Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles on high heat. Remove the cooker from heat and let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid and drain the corn. If using a cob, then shuck it using a knife.
2. Instant Pot (Electric Pressure Cooker) Method – Add the kernels or the cob to the instant pot. Add ½ cup of water and close the lid of the pot. Set the valve to sealing. Press PRESSURE COOK and set the timer to 3 minutes. When the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then release the remaining pressure manually and open the lid. Drain and use.
3. Stovetop Method – Bring 3-4 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add the corn and cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat until tender. Drain and use.
You can also roast the corn cob over direct flame and shuck it later. Use the roasted kernels to make the chaat for a smoky flavor.
Try my recipes to make tamarind chutney and green chutney. These can be made a few days in advance and refrigerated. Tamarind chutney lasts for as long as a month, whereas green chutney will last for about a week.
Add more or less green chili peppers and chutneys as per your liking. You can also adjust the spice powders according to your taste.
For Italian flavored chaat
To make Italian flavored chaat, you will need sweet corn kernels, butter, Italian seasoning, onion, green bell pepper, ketchup, and red pepper flakes.
How to Make Indian Style Corn Chaat
In a large mixing bowl, mix together 2 cups of tender corn kernels, ½ cup chopped onions, 1 tsp chopped green chili peppers, ¼ cup chopped tomatoes, ½ tsp chaat masala, ½ tsp black salt, ½ tsp red chili powder, 1 tbsp lime juice, 2 tsp tamarind chutney, 2 tsp green chutney and 2 tbsp chopped cilantro.
How to Make Italian Style Corn Chaat
In a large microwave-safe bowl, add 2 cups of tender corn kernels and 2 tbsp salted butter and microwave for 3-4 minutes. Add 1 tsp Italian seasoning, salt to taste, ½ cup chopped onions, 1 cup diced green bell peppers, and 2 tbsp ketchup and micro for another 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle 1 tsp red pepper flakes on top and serve warm.
You can also cook it in a skillet over the stovetop.
Serve this chaat as a tea-time snack with your evening cup of masala chai or filter coffee. It can be enjoyed at any time of the day when the hunger strikes and you are cravings for something healthy, tangy, and spicy.
I won’t suggest you store it! It tastes the best when made fresh. You can prep ahead of time such as prepare the chutneys, chop the onion and veggies and cook the corn. Once the prep is done, it will hardly take 5 minutes to assemble it.
You might also like
Corn Chaat Recipe
- 2 cups tender corn kernels
- ½ cup hopped onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chili peppers
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon black salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons tamarind chutney
- 2 teaspoons green chutney
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (coriander)
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Serve immediately.