Give your usual chaat an interesting twist with this Tater Tots Chaat recipe. It is a crunchy, and creamy recipe where crispy fried tater tots are topped with other usual chaat ingredients. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Tater Tots Chaat is a fusion chaat recipe where warm crispy deep-fried taters tots are topped with delicious ragda, sweet and spicy chutneys, creamy yogurt, and a few aromatic spice powders.
It is crunchy, creamy, sweet, and spicy, all flavors in one that will surely satiate your taste buds.
Making this chaat is super easy and takes less than 30 minutes if you have ragda and chutneys ready at home.
This recipe uses deep-fried tater tots, but for a healthier version you can bake or air fry them until crispy and lightly browned.
The best part about this recipe is that it is customizable.
Add the condiments as per your taste buds and you have your very own version ready.
Tater Tots – Buy tater tots from the freezer section of the grocery store.
Ragda – Ragda is a soupy curry made using dried white peas. Here is the recipe to make ragda.
You can replace ragda with spicy chole as well.
Yogurt – Make sure to use chilled yogurt. The combination of hot tater tots and cold condiments is a killer.
Whisk the yogurt well with a little sugar for a creamy texture and a slightly sweet taste.
If you like to make it a little spicy, you can add in a little garlic chutney too.
Spice Powders – Sprinkle chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, and red chili powder to spice it up.
Others -Top the chaat with finely chopped onions, green chilies, and chopped cilantro.
Pomegranate kernels are also a great topping.
How To Make Tater Tots Chaat
Deep fry 10 oz (300 g), tater tots, in hot oil until browned and crispy.
Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
Note – You can air fry or bake the tots instead of frying them for a healthy version.
Arrange the tater tots on a serving platter in a single layer.
Top with 1 cup warm ragda (or chole).
Pour ½ chilled yogurt whisked with 1 teaspoon sugar on top.
Top with 2 tablespoon chilled coriander mint chutney and 2 tablespoon chilled tamarind chutney.
Note – You can adjust the chutneys as per your liking.
If you like your chaat spicy, then add more green chutney and if you like it sweet and tangy, then add more tamarind chutney.
Now dress the chat with 2 tablespoon chopped onions, ½ teaspoon chopped green chilies, ½ teaspoon chaat masala, ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro.
Note – You can also top the chaat with a few pomegranate seeds for a nice vibrant color.
Serve Tater Tot Chaat on a rainy day with a hot cup of chai or coffee.
Tater Tots Chaat tastes the best when served fresh, as the tater tots get soggy if kept for longer.
Fry the tots in fresh batches and assemble the chaat at the time of serving.
If you are making homemade tater tots, then you can store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days.
Just warm them up in the microwave before serving.
You can prepare the chutneys beforehand and store them in the fridge.
Green chutney will last for 3 to 4 days, whereas tamarind chutney will last for a few weeks.
You Might Also Like
Tater Tots Chaat Recipe
- 10 ounce frozen tater tots (300 g)
- 1 cup ragda (or chole, warm)
- 2 tablespoons chilled coriander mint chutney (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chilled tamarind chutney (or to taste)
- ½ cup chilled yogurt (whisked with 1 teaspoon sugar)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- ½ teaspoon chopped green chilies (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (coriander)
- Deep fry tater tots in hot oil until browned and crispy.
- Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Arrange the tater tots on a serving platter in a single layer.
- Top with warm ragda (or chole).
- Pour yogurt on top.
- Top with coriander mint chutney and tamarind chutney.
- Note – You can adjust the chutneys as per your liking. If you like your chaat spicy, then add more green chutney and if you like it sweet and tangy, then add more tamarind chutney.
- Now dress the chat with onions, green chilies, chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, and cilantro. Serve immediately.