You may either use jaggery or sugar while preparing Khatti Meethi Imli ki Chutney. I had added both jaggery and sugar, but I kept the proportion of jaggery more than that of the sugar.
These days, you do get those ready made packs of khatti meethi imli ki chutney. But, I have several reservations about using such commercial products. First being that they use a huge amount of sugar, which on regular consumption can increase the sugar level of blood. Secondly, I never feel assured about the quality of ingredients that they use for preparing chutney. My mom suggested me it is always wise to use ingredients which are tried and tested. My advice for you is the same. Instead of purchasing ready made version of Khatti Meethi Imli ki Chutney, try making this simple recipe at home and refrigerate it in a sterilized jar and use it whenever you feel like eating a plateful of yummy chaat.
Khatti Meethi Imli ki Chutney
Khatti Meethi Imli ki Chutney / Sweet and Sour Tamarind Chutney
- Tamarind - 100 g
- Jaggery - 100 g broken into small pieces
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Black salt - 1 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coarse fennel powder - 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder - 1/2 tsp
- Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Dry dates / Chuhare - 3-4 soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and chopped
- Heat 5-6 cups of water in a pan.
- When it comes to a boil, switch off the heat.
- Add the tamarind in the water and keep aside for an hour.
- With your hands, mash the tamarind in water.
- Pass it through a soup strainer and try to take out as much pulp as possible.
- Put the mixture on heat.
- Add jaggery, sugar, black salt, roasted cumin powder, fennel powder, dry ginger powder, raisins and dry dates.
- Let the chutney come to a boil.
- Simmer the heat and let it cook for 25-30 minutes, till it thicken to desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Store in a sterilized jar and refrigerate for about a month.