Make these extra crispy Greek Fries in just 15 minutes. Serve them as an appetizer or a side dish for a unique homemade treat (gluten-free).
About This Recipe
Greek Fries or Papates Tiganites is a Mediterranean-style fried potato dish where potatoes are cut in thick wedges and deep-fried in extra virgin olive oil. They are then tossed in a seasoning with all the amazing Greek flavors.
You go to Greece, and every restaurant will serve you a plate full of these super addictive Greek French Fries along with the main course or salad. Crispy from the outside and fluffy from the inside, this Greek-style dish is super addictive.
Traditionally, the potatoes are hand-cut into thick wedges and then fried until crisp. But to make the recipe more accessible and still keep up with the authentic taste, I made the Greek Fries using frozen French Fries. My version gets done in under 15 minutes.
I have given the method to make it the traditional way too. So if that’s your thing, go for it. For others, this lazy recipe will work just fine.
These Greek Fries are,
- Easy to make
- Full of flavor
- Perfect for party appetizers
Fries – You can either make them from scratch at home or use the store-bought frozen ones which can be baked or deep-fried. To make things easy and quick, I mostly go with store-bought fries.
Flavors – To flavor these fries, you will need extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, and salt.
Make sure to use a good quality extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar for the best and authentic taste.
Toppings – Once the potato fries are mixed with other ingredients, it is topped with feta cheese, onions, tomatoes, black olives, and parsley.
Feta Cheese adds a tangy and salty taste whereas tomatoes and onions add a nice crunch along with a bite.
How to make Greek Fries?
Start by cooking the French Fries. I like to bake the fries until crisp but you can definitely deep fry them. If you are going the traditional way of making fries from scratch, I have given the method below as well.
Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F. Transfer the frozen fries onto a baking tray. Arrange the frozen fries in a single layer on the tray and spray with oil.
Place the baking tray on the middle rack of the oven and bake until cooked, crispy, and golden brown. It will take 12-15 minutes. Toss the potato fries once midway while baking.
Once the French fries are cooked, transfer them to a large mixing bowl and pour extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, and salt on top. Toss well.
Transfer them on the serving plate.
Top with feta cheese, onion, tomato, and parsley. You can add a few olives too. Be quick to toss and top otherwise the fries will get soggy. Serve them immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have used ready-made french fries to make this dish but you can definitely make them from scratch like it’s done traditionally.
Choose a waxy potato like a Yukon gold. If not available, Russet or any other will also do.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into thick wedges. You can either cut them with a knife or use a fry cutter. Check out this article on how to cut wedges.
You can now either bake these fries or deep fry in a pan.
If deep-frying, then heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, drop the potato fries in hot oil and fry until golden brown. Drain on a tissue-lined plate.
If baking then, then preheat the oven to 350 F. Pour 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil on the tray and line the wedges on the tray in a single layer. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top and bake for 25-30 minutes until browned. If you have an air fryer, you can use it too to cook the fries.
Once the fries are done, top them with ingredients as mentioned below.
Make a variation of my recipe by topping the Greek-style fries with Tzatziki, a greek dip. I have a lovely homemade Tzatziki Recipe here.
Serve these delectable Greek Fries on their own with Tzatziki Dip for an amazing snack or you can even serve it on the side with Grilled Chicken, Fish, or Salmon Fish Sticks.
You can also serve it on the side with your favourite Burger, Wraps and Sandwiches.
You might also like
Greek Fries Recipe
- 200 grams frozen potato fries
- vegetable oil (for spraying)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt to taste
- Start by cooking the French Fries. I like to bake the fries until crisp but you can definitely deep fry them. If you are going the traditional way of making the potato fries from scratch, I have given the method below as well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F. Transfer the frozen fries onto a baking tray. Arrange the fries in a single layer on the tray and spray with oil.
- Place the baking tray on the middle rack of the oven and bake until cooked, crispy, and golden brown. It will take 12-15 minutes. Toss the French fries once midway while baking.
- Once the fries are cooked, transfer them to a large mixing bowl and pour extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, and salt on top. Toss well.
- Transfer them to the serving plate.
- Top with feta cheese, onion, tomato, and parsley. You can add a few olives too. Be quick to toss and top the fries otherwise they will get soggy. Serve them immediately.