I have made these cookies innumerable times using the same recipe and they have never failed me. Sharing my recipe to make these delicious crunchy Indian shortbread cookies or Nan Khatai.
About This Recipe
Soft are crunchy, these are Indian shortbread like cookies flavored with cardamom.
This recipe can be turn around within 10 minutes. The freshly baked cookies give out an amazing aroma
These sweet requires very basic ingredients. It uses a mixture of Chickpea (besan) and All purpose flour (maida). Cardamom powder is used for flavoring and I garnished them with some almond slivers
You should also try these Indian Desserts
- 1 cup Ghee (use regular butter if not available)
- 1 cup Powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup Besan / Chickpea flour
- 1 and 3/4 cup Maida / All purpose flour
- 1 Pinch of salt
- 1/8 tsp Baking soda
- 5 – 6 Almonds (slivered for garnishing)
- Sift besan, maida, salt, cardamom powder and baking soda.
- Whisk ghee and powdered sugar till light and fluffy. ( Approx 2-3 minutes on high speed )
- Add the dry mixture in 2-3 batches and fold gently.
- Divide the dough into 20-24 parts and make rounds.
- Press the rounds gently and keep some slivered almonds on top.
- Cover the tray with a cling wrap and refrigerate the cookies for 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Grease a cooking sheet with ghee.
- Arrange the cookies on the sheet keeping 2 cm gap between them.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, till slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- These cookies tend to burn very fast, so keep an eye on them while baking.
- Turn the cookies around and see the base. If it’s slightly browned, the cookies are done.