NanKhatai Recipe, How to make NanKhatai or Crunchy Indian Shortbread Cookies
- Ghee / Indian Clarified butter - 1 cup use regular butter if not available
- Powdered sugar - 1 cup sifted
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Besan / Chickpea flour - 1/2 cup
- Maida / All purpose flour - 1 and 3/4 cups
- Pinch of salt
- Baking soda -1/8 tsp
- Almonds - 5-6 slivered for garnishing
- Sift besan, maida, salt, cardamom powder and baking soda.
- Whisk ghee and powdered sugar till light and fluffy. ( Approx 2-3 minutes on high speed )
- Add the dry mixture in 2-3 batches and fold gently.
- Divide the dough into 20-24 parts and make rounds.
- Press the rounds gently and keep some slivered almonds on top.
- Cover the tray with a cling wrap and refrigerate the cookies for 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Grease a cooking sheet with ghee.
- Arrange the cookies on the sheet keeping 2 cm gap between them.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, till slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- These cookies tend to burn very fast, so keep an eye on them while baking.
- Turn the cookies around and see the base. If it's slightly browned, the cookies are done.