Try this popular South Indian breakfast, Ragi Semiya Upma which is prepared with ragi semiya, vegetables and a few simple ingredients. It is super heathy, vegan and gluten free (skip hing). Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
A popular South Indian breakfast, Ragi Semiya Upma (Ragi Vermicelli, Ragi Shavige or Ragi Sevai) is your regular semiya upma where semiya or vermicelli is made of ragi. This ragi vermicelli is then cooked along with vegetable, curry leaves, green chilies and a few more simple ingredients.
In order to make this simple breakfast dish more nourishing and wholesome, you can even add other vegetables of your choice. It is a great way to include veggies in your kid’s diet.
Serve ragi semiya with coconut chutney and a cup of filter coffee for a satisfying breakfast. It can also be packed in lunch box.
Ragi Vermicelli – You can easily find ragi vermicelli in the grocery stores.
Vegetables – I prefer to use peas, carrot and beans, but you can go ahead and add in other veggies such as mushrooms, bell pepper, capsicum, corn kernels etc.
Curry Leaves – Fresh and green curry leaves adds a refreshing flavour along with a South Indian touch to the semiya.
Oil – I use vegetable oil, but you can also make it with ghee or olive oil.
Others – Mustard seeds, green chillies, hing, onion, ginger, salt, lemon juice and fresh coriander are a few other ingredients required to make upma.
You can adjust the amount of green chillies to suit your taste.
You can avoid adding onion and ginger to make a jain version.
Avoid hing to make it gluten free.
Do not forget to squeeze fresh lemon juice, it adds a refreshing tangy taste that makes this upma even more delicious.
Ragi Health Benefits
Full of calcium and fiber, Ragi helps a lot for weight reduction along with ensuring proper circular of blood.
Ragi also helps in fighting anemia and reduces the chance of stroke. Moreover, it is gluten-free and acts as a very natural relaxant.
It is rich in fibre and amino acids, which makes it a good ingredient to include in your diabetic diet. It helps control blood sugar levels.
It also boosts skin and hair health.
Ragi Semiya Upma can be stored in an air tight container for about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. Reheat it in a pan or microwave and sprinkle a little water while reheating to add some moisture to the semiya upma.
Ragi Semiya Recipe
- 2 cups Ragi Vermicelli
- 2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- 2-3 Green Chilli (Slit into half)
- ¼ teaspoon Hing
- ½ cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (Grated)
- ¼ cup Peas
- ¼ cup Carrot (Cut into small cubes)
- ¼ cup Beans (Cut into small pieces)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Coriander (Chopped)
- Add the ragi vermicelli in the bowl of a steamer and steam for 6-8 minutes until cooked but still firm or else cook as per manufacturer’s instruction.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilli and hing and let the seeds crackle for a few seconds.
- Add onion and ginger and cook for a minute.
- Add peas, carrot, beans and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add vermicelli and mix well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.