Ragi Semiya, Ragi Vermicelli or Ragi Sevai is a welcomed surprise that combines the goodness of ragi (Finger Millet) and soul-soothing flavors all in just one bite! Make it for a Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Healthy breakfast. Here is how to make it.
It might sound weird but I love weekday mornings, the only reason being I am always excited about the breakfast.
During weekdays, I make sure that there is something healthy, easy, and different.
And these different ingredients are being used in my kitchen for healthy morning meals.
My recent favorite ingredient for breakfast is Ragi.
Full of calcium and fiber, Ragi helps a lot for weight reduction along with ensuring proper circular of blood.
I have also read that Ragi helps in fighting anemia and reduces the chance of stroke. Moreover, it is gluten-free and acts as a very natural relaxant.
So, this time, during my food shopping, I came across a packet of Ragi Vermicelli or Semiya and without a thought, I bought it with joy.
Semiya is my kiddo’s favorite breakfast is made twice or thrice a month by me and ain’t it great to turn it a tad healthy?
Ragi Sevai is a welcomed surprise that combines the goodness of ragi and soul-soothing flavors all in just one bite!
Filling, delicious, and very satiating, prepare Ragi Vermicelli Upma whenever hunger pangs strike your family and you are sure to love this healthy delight.
Curious to know how it is made? Note down its recipe:
About This Recipe
Ragi Semiya is a South Indian breakfast recipe where semiya or vermicelli is made of Ragi.
This vermicelli is then cooked along with mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilies, hing, onions, ginger, peas, carrot, beans, salt, lemon juice, and fresh coriander.
In order to make this delicacy more nourishing you could even add other vegetables of your choice without a doubt.
You can also serve it along with South Indian Coconut Chutney.
You might also like
Ragi Semiya Recipe
- 2 cups Ragi Vermicelli
- 2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- 2-3 Green Chilli (Slit into half)
- ¼ tsp Hing
- ½ cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger (Grated)
- ¼ cup Peas
- ¼ cup Carrot (Cut into small cubes)
- ¼ cup Beans (Cut into small pieces)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander (Chopped)
- Add the ragi vermicelli in the bowl of a steamer and steam for 6-8 minutes until cooked but still firm or else cook as per manufacturer’s instruction.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilli and hing and let the seeds crackle for a few seconds.
- Add onion and ginger and cook for a minute.
- Add peas, carrot, beans and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add vermicelli and mix well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.