Rava Appe, Rava Paniyaram, or Sooji Appe is an Instant South Indian breakfast dish that is delicious and very easy to make. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Also called as Sooji Appe or Rava Paniyaram, Rava Appe are round fritter like dish, where the batter is made with rava. The rava batter is tempered with a few spices, that add to its taste and also gives a crunch or bite to the soft Appe.
It also has the goodness of vegetables too. I have kept it simple by only adding carrots, but you can add one or more vegetables too to make it wholesome and more nutritious.
This batter is then poured in the Paniyaram Pan and cooked until the outer layer becomes a little brown in color and is properly cooked from inside. The appe are crispy from outside and soft from inside.
You will need a Paniyaram Pan or Appe Moulds to make this dish. Invest in a good pan and I am sure you will not regret it.
The best part, you don’t need any fermentation in this like Dosa or Idli batter. This is instant!
You just need 30 minutes of your busy weekday morning to make this healthy and filling breakfast.
These Rava Appe are,
- Crunchy from Outside
- Soft from Inside
- Ready in just 30 minutes
- Perfect for weekday breakfast
- Apt to serve with evening Tea
- A great after school snack for kids
Rava – Rava or semolina is slightly roasted until aromatic to make these Appe. Use fine Rava to make this dish, the coarser ones don’t give the best results.
Vegetables – I have added only carrots, but you can go ahead and add any vegetables that you like such as onions, tomatoes, peas, beans, capsicum, etc.
Curd and Enos Fruit Salt– These two ingredients will make sure that your Appe is soft and fluffy.
Other Ingredients – To add more taste and yumminess to these Appe, we will need oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal, hing, curry leaves, ginger, green chili, dry red chili, and cashew nuts.
Step By Step Recipe
Heat vegetable oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and chana dal and fry for a few seconds.
Add hing, curry leaves, ginger, green chili, dry red chili, and cashew nuts and fry until cashew nuts turn slightly brown.
Add rava and roast it on low flame until slightly browned. Remove the rava on a plate and let it cool completely.
Add curd and carrot in the cooled rava and mix well.
Add some water to make idli like batter. Cover the batter and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Check the consistency of the batter once again. Add more water if required. Also add salt, Eno Fruit Salt, and give it a mix.
Heat an appe pan and add some oil in the cavities.
Pour the batter in the cavities.
Cover the pan and let the Appe cook until nicely browned from the bottom. Flip and cook from the other side as well. Remove from pan and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
These Appe turn out perfectly round and can be shallowly fried only in Paniyaram Pan. So, it is always a good idea to invest in a good Paniyaram Pan to make these soft Paniyarams.
Yes, you can substitute Fruit Salt with Baking Soda. Add a little lemon juice to it to imitate the flavor.
Yes, you can, but make sure you keep it stored only for 24 hours. Add Enos Fruit Salt only while making the Appe, not before that.
It also tastes great with Coriander Mint Chutney.
I sometimes also like to enjoy them with Sambar. Do try it and you will make it again and again.
You might also like
Rava Appe Recipe
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- ¼ tsp Hing
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Green Chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 Dry Red Chilli (broken)
- 4-5 Cashew Nuts
- 1 cup Rava
- ½ cup Curd
- 2 tbsp Carrots (shredded)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Eno Fruit Salt
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and chana dal and fry for a few seconds.
- Add hing, curry leaves, ginger, green chilli, dry red chilli and cashew nuts and fry until cashew nuts turns slightly brown.
- Add rava and roast it on low flame until slightly browned.
- Remove the rava in a bowl and let it cool completely.
- Add curd and carrot in the cooled rava and mix well.
- Add some water to make idli like batter.
- Cover the batter and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Check the consistency of the batter once again.
- Add more water if required. Also add Eno Fruit Salt and give it a mix.
- Heat an appe pan and add some oil in the cavities.
- Pour the batter in the cavities.
- Cover the pan and let the appe cook until nicely browned from the bottom.
- Flip and cook from other side as well.
- Remove from pan and serve hot.