Sama Ke Chawal Ki Kheer….Sama ke Chawal is nothing but Barnyard millet. It is a gluten free grain which behaves like rice and can be cooked in many ways similar to rice. This Navratri I made a Kheer using Sama Ke Chawal which can be eaten as falahar during the Vrat days. The recipe is exactly similar how we would make Chawal I kheer except that I replaced rice with Sama Ke Chawal. Here is how to make Sama Ke Chawal Ki Kheer.
Recipe to make Sama Ke Chawal ki Kheer
Sama Ke Chawal Ki Kheer - Video Recipe
- Full Cream Milk - 1 litre
- Sama ke Chawal Barnyard Millet - 3 tbsp
- Saffron - 10-12 strands Soaked in 2 tbsp milk
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Almond and Pistachio slivers for garnishing
- Wash Sama Ke Chawal and soak them in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- Bring the milk to a rolling boil and then simmer the heat.
- Drain the water from the chawal and add them in the milk.
- Add saffron soaked in milk and cardamom powder,
- Simmer the heat and let the kheer cook for 20-25 minutes until it is reduced to almost half and is creamy and thick.
- Add sugar and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio slivers and serve the kheer hot or chilled.