Sipping on this Spicy Watermelon Margarita is the best way to spend your summer weekends! 6 ingredients and 5 minutes are all you need to bring it together (vegan, gluten-free).
About Spicy Watermelon Margarita
Spicy Watermelon Margarita is a delicious and refreshing cocktail made using fresh watermelon juice, jalapenos, and tequila.
It is one of those fun cocktails you will make again and again to sip during summer afternoons!
The best thing about making it at home is that you can customize it according to your taste preferences. Add more watermelon juice if you want it to be lighter, increase or decrease the sweetener, add more lime juice if you want it tangier, or add more jalapeno for a stronger spicy kick.
You can also make a non-alcoholic version by skipping the tequila.
This recipe is easy to scale up if you are making it for a gathering. Double or triple the recipe and make it in a big pitcher.
It is a great drink for weekend brunches, BBQs, house parties, game or movie nights, or gatherings.
Here are some more cocktail recipes that you may like
- Mango Daiquiri
- Mango Mojito
- Blueberry Mojito Cocktail
- Mango Martini
- Red Wine Sangria
- Watermelon Mint Mojito
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Martini
- Red Wine Spritzer
Watermelon – You will need fresh watermelon juice to make this drink. Check out my detailed post on how to make Watermelon Juice here.
Tequila – Preferably, go for 100% agave silver or Blanco tequila. Having said that, you can use any unflavored tequila that you like.
In traditional margaritas, orange liqueur, like triple sec or Cointreau, is also added. I leave them out in this recipe to let the watermelon flavor shine.
Fresh Lime and Orange Juice – Freshly squeezed juices add a refreshing sweet-tart taste to the cocktail, making it delicious.
Jalapeno – This ingredient makes it different from other similar margaritas. It adds a nice spicy kick, which complements the sweet and tart flavors of the drink well.
If you are making a pitcher, take out the Jalapeños after a while. If you let them sit in the drink longer, they will make the margaritas too spicy.
Agave Nectar – Agave nectar is the traditional sweetener used for margaritas. You can also use simple syrup or honey in place of agave nectar. You can skip adding the sweetener if you feel the watermelons are sweet enough.
For The Rim – Rimming the glass makes the margaritas super exciting. You will require sea salt, chili powder, and lemon wedges for a salty spicy rim. You can avoid chili if it makes your lips burn.
How To Make Spicy Watermelon Margarita
Rim The Margarita Glass
Mix ¼ cup sea salt and ¼ cup chili powder on a small plate.
Run a wedge of lime around the top of the glass.
Dip the rim of the glass into the salt blend at a 45-degree angle and roll it from side to side to catch the salt. Freeze or refrigerate the rimmed glasses until ready to use (optional).
Make The Margarita
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- 2 oz (60 ml) fresh watermelon juice
- 2 oz (60 ml) tequila
- ¾ oz (20 ml) lime juice
- ½ oz (15 ml) orange juice
- ½ teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 jalapeño slice
Secure the lid of the shaker and shake for 30 seconds.
Taste and add additional sweetener if necessary.
Strain the liquid into your prepared glass. Add a few ice cubes and serve!
This spicy watermelon margarita tastes best when made fresh. You can make the juice and refrigerate it for 3-4 days. When ready to make the margarita, mix it with other ingredients and serve!
You Might Also Like
Refreshing Spicy Watermelon Margarita Recipe
For Chili Salt Rim
- ¼ cup sea salt
- ¼ cup red chili powder
- 1 lime wedge
For The Margarita
- ice cubes (as required)
- 2 ounces fresh watermelon juice (60 ml)
- 2 ounces tequila (60 ml, preferably 100% agave silver or blanco tequila)
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice (20 ml)
- ½ ounce fresh orange juice (15 ml)
- ½ teaspoon agave nectar (or simple syrup, more to taste)
- 1 Jalapeno (thinly sliced in round (¼th inch thick, a little goes a long way!))
- 1 watermelon wedge (for garnishing (optional))
Rim The Margarita Glass
- On a small plate, mix sea salt and chili powder.
- Run a wedge of lime around the top of the glass.
- Dip the rim of the glass into the salt blend at a 45-degree angle and roll it from side to side to catch the salt. Freeze or refrigerate the rimmed glasses until ready to use (optional).
Make The Margarita
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour in the watermelon juice, tequila, lime juice, orange juice, and agave nectar, and add a jalapeño slice.
- Secure the lid of the shaker and shake for 30 seconds.
- Taste and add additional sweetener if necessary.
- Strain the liquid into your prepared glass. Add a few ice cubes and serve!