Planning to give up white rice or wish to cut on the carbs? Then this recipe of healthy Brown Rice Pulao will surely help you to meet your #FitnessGoals! Here is how to make it.
White rice is prominently used in most of the rice-based delicacies that we make for the main course.
But do you know that when you are planning to shed some weight or wish to control the intake of carbs, it is better to cut off the consumption of white rice.
But don’t worry, if you love rice dishes, you can savor brown rice instead.
It is a healthier alternative to white rice and you can enjoy your favorite dishes without worrying about those carb intakes too.
But yes, eating everything in portion control is very important, because even if you choose healthier options, controlled eating is the key.
Brown rice is the unrefined version of white rice and it is full of fibre, protein, thiamine, calcium, potassium.
It not only aids weight loss but it also perfect as baby food.
Now, you might think that brown rice won’t taste so nice.
But, let me prove you wrong by sharing the recipe of Brown Rice Pulao today!
A staple that can be served for dinner or a light lunch, prepare this pulao whenever you are looking for a healthy meal or you might replace your craving for Pulao with it any time, any day!
About the recipe
It is an easy Pulao recipe, where the main ingredient brown rice is cooked along with other everyday ingredients to make an easy and every day main course dish.
This pulao is filled with the goodness of vegetables, which makes it even more nutritious.
You just need 30 minutes, to prepare this recipe, making it apt for your weeknight dinners, when you want something comforting and satisfying at the same time.
Just whip up simple raita to go along with this pulao, and your simple yet tasty meal is ready to eat.
This is a simple Pulao where brown rice is cooked along with whole spices, vegetables and basic masalas.
The whole spices include cloves, black peppercorn, cinnamon and cumin seeds which make the pulao aromatic.
A lot of vegetables are added in this pulao such as onions, peas, cauliflower, beans and potatoes.
Make sure that you cook the onions well, as it adds a beautiful flavour to this pulao.
You can even add vegetables of your choice to make it even more nutritious.
To keep it simple, I have just added two basic spices, black pepper powder and garam masala powder.
It really brings out the flavour in this simple yet comforting pulao.
Thought pulao tastes delish just as it is, it would be a very interesting combination if possibly you could serve it with any of the variations of creamy sides or a raita like Tomato Onion Raita.
Step by Step Recipe
Wash the rice and soak in 3-4 cups of water for an hour.
Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds.
Add cloves, black peppercorn, cinnamon and fry for a few seconds.
Add onion, sugar and 1/2 tsp salt and fry until onions turn golden brown.
Add peas, cauliflower, beans, potato and fry for a minute.
Drain the rice and add it in the pressure cooker along with water.
Add salt, black pepper powder and garam masala powder.
Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 4 whistles on high heat.
Remove the pressure cooker from heat and let the pressure release on its own.
Fluff the pulao gently with a fork.
Brown Rice Pulao Recipe
- 2 cups Brown Rice
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2-3 Cloves
- 5-6 Blckpeppercorn
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Onion (Thinly sliced)
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup Peas
- 1 and 1/2 cup Cauliflower (Cut into small florets)
- 1/2 cup Beans (Cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup Potato (Peeled and Cubed)
- 5 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Wash the rice and soak in 3-4 cups of water for an hour.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker
- Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add cloves, black peppercorn, cinnamon and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion, sugar and 1/2 tsp salt and fry until onions turn golden brown.
- Add peas, cauliflower, beans, potato and fry for a minute.
- Drain the rice and add it in the pressure cooker along with water.
- Add salt, black pepper powder and garam masala powder.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 4 whistles on high heat.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and let the pressure release on it’s own.
- Fluff the pulao gently with a fork.
- Serve hot with raita.