Matar Pulao or Peas Pulao is a quick, filling, one-pot, flavorful rice dish that is nutritious as well as takes care of your carb cravings. You can have it with any Indian curry or lentils. Here is how to make it at home.
Whenever I host a lunch or dinner at home, I always make sure there is a full-fledged meal on the table, that includes a rich Curry, Dal, Phulka, Raita, Pulao/Rice and a Salad.
Also, how can I forget dessert?
Well, cooking a big meal for so many people is also a task and therefore I keep some recipes simple and easy, that gets ready in less time.
While it is difficult to experiment with the curry, therefore my eyes always go on the Pulao.
Sometimes I do serve Steamed Rice, but then if there is a Pulao, it is always better!
And that’s when this Matar Pulao comes to my rescue.
Full of flavor and aroma, quick to make and healthy, this Peas Pulao gets ready in no time and also along with being nutritious als0 takes care of your carb cravings.
Prepared by cooking rice with spices and peas, this dish can also be served to kids, who love it for its mild flavor and taste.
What is Matar Pulao?
A simple Pulao where long-grain rice is cooked along with green peas and whole spices in ghee.
Always makes sure to cook this Pulao in ghee, because it’s the aroma and texture that makes this dish different from others.
I love to make this simple and quick Matar Pulav recipe for parties as it takes just a few more minutes than the simple boiled rice and also tastes much better.
Whether pressure cooked or prepared in an electric cooker, it is just as tasty, and the texture of the rice and mild fragrance of the condiments makes it a special dish that can even be prepared during special occasions and festivities.
Pro Tips by Neha
Use long grain basmati rice to make matar Pulav.
The grains are long and very fragrant giving this peas pulao a lovely aroma and texture.
If the rice is old, it’s best for making pulao. So choose rice that is at least 2 years old.
You can use fresh or frozen peas to make peas pulao.
If using fresh peas, cook them until they are softened before adding them in the rice.
You can add some garam masala powder and fried onion to your pulao to give it a slightly different taste.
Adding some sliced onion in the ghee and frying until they turn golden brown and then adding rice in the pan also lends a very nice taste to the pulao.
Adding a few lemon drops while cooking the rice makes it fluffy and whiter.
So do add a few drops while cooking it.
Washing the rice prior to cooking makes it fluffier too.
Try adding some fried Paneer cubes to make a nice Matar Paneer Pulao.
Crush the whole spices a bit to release their aroma in the rice to their best.
Matar Pulao in Pressure Cooker
To make peas pulao in a pressure cooker, follow the steps below until adding water and then put the lid of the pressure cooker.
Pressure cook for 2 whistles on high heat and then turn off the heat.
Let the pressure release on its own and then open the lid and fluff the rice.
Peas Pulao in microwave
To make matar pulao in microwave, heat ghee in a microwave-safe pan for 2 minutes.
Add cumin seeds and micro on high for 30 seconds.
Add whole spices and micro for 30 minutes.
Now add soaked rice, water, peas and salt and micro for 10 minutes.
If the rice is not cooked, micro for another 3-4 minutes.
You can serve it on its own with just Pickle and a Raita of your choice.
You can even serve it with rich creamy Curries or Dals.
You can even serve it as a side dish with your special or festive meals.
Green Peas Pulao with coconut milk
To make green peas pulao with coconut milk, replace water with thin coconut milk, and follow the remaining process as mentioned below.
How to make spicy Masala Matar Pulao?
- Long grain basmati rice – 1 cup
- Mustard Oil – 3 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 2-3
- Black peppercorns – 5-6
- Black cardamom – 1
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Onion – 1 cup (Thinly Sliced)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (Finely chopped)
- Garlic – 1 tsp (Finely Chopped)
- Biryani Masala – 2 tsp
- Green Chillies – 2-3 (Slit into half)
- Tomato – 1 (Cut into rounds)
- Peas – 1 cup
- Lemon – 2-3 slices
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Coriander – 2 tbsp (Chopped)
- Wash the rice and soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, cloves, black peppercorns, black cardamom and bay leaf.
- Let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry until it is lightly browned.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add biryani masala and cook for a minute.
- Add green chillies, tomatoes, peas and lemon slices.
- Drain the rice and add it in the pan alomg with salt.
- Add water and coriander and put the lid of the pan.
- Cook until all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Let the rice rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the biryani using a fork.
- Serve hot.
You might also like
Step by Step Recipe
Heat ghee in a pan.
Add cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds.
Slightly crush cloves, black cardamom and black peppercorns and add them in the ghee.
Drain the rice. Add soaked rice along with lemon juice, salt, peas and 4 cups of water in the pan.
Cover the pan and cook the pulao on low heat till rice is done.
Remove the pan from heat and let the pulao rest for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork.
Matar Pulao Recipe
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3-4 Cloves
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 5-6 Black Peppercorns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 cups Long Grain Basmati Rice
- 2-3 drops Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Peas (Boiled until soft)
- Wash the rice and soak in 3-4 cups of water.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds.
- Slightly crush cloves, black cardamom and black peppercorns and add them in the ghee.
- Add bay leaf.
- Drain the rice.
- Add soaked rice along with lemon juice, salt, peas and 4 cups of water in the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook the pulao on low heat till rice is done.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the pulao rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve hot with Raita or Curry.