Dahi Chicken is an Indian chicken curry with chicken pieces cooked in a yogurt-based sauce. Serve it with roti, naan, or rice for a hearty meal.
Here are more chicken curry recipes – Chicken Masala, Achari Chicken, Malabar Chicken Curry, Chicken Chettinad, Kadai Chicken, Chicken Vindaloo, Coriander Chicken Curry, and Tomato Chicken Curry.
About Dahi Chicken
Dahi is plain yogurt in Hindi.
Dahi Chicken, also known as dahi wala murgh is a North Indian style curry where the chicken pieces are cooked in a yogurt-based sauce.
Spicy, tangy, and full of flavors, this curry comes together using simple ingredients in under an hour.
It is a great curry for everyday meals, Indian-themed parties, or get-togethers.
Chicken – I like to make this curry using skinless bone-in chicken pieces.
Oil – Use any cooking oil to make the curry. My favorite is mustard oil. It gives the curry a very unique flavor.
Whole Spices – To enhance the flavor of this chicken curry, use whole spices such as cloves (laung), black peppercorns (kali mirch), black cardamoms (badi elaichi), cinnamon (dalchini), and dry red chilies.
When added to hot oil, these whole spices infuse flavor and aroma, making the dish even more delicious.
Spice Powders – Spice up the curry with basic spice powders such as coriander powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, and salt.
Kashmiri red chili powder gives the curry a nice red color without making it too spicy. If you want it to be spicy, opt for regular red chili powder instead of Kashmiri red chili powder.
Yogurt (Dahi, Curd) – The base of this gravy is prepared with plain yogurt. I like to add all-purpose flour to the yogurt as it prevents it from curdling while cooking. Flour also makes the curry creamier.
Others – You will also need red onions, ginger garlic paste, lime juice, and cilantro (fresh coriander leaves).
How To Make Dahi Chicken
Whisk 2 cups of plain yogurt with 2 teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida), and 2 teaspoon salt. Keep it aside.
Heat 5 tablespoon mustard oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
Lightly crush 3-4 cloves, 5-6 black peppercorns, 2 black cardamoms, and 1-inch piece of cinnamon stick in a mortar and pestle.
When the oil is hot, add the crushed whole spices and 2-3 dry red chilies (stalks removed) and saute for 5-6 seconds.
Add 1 and ½ cups of thinly sliced red onions and cook until they turn light brown (5-6 minutes), stirring frequently.
Add 2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste and cook until the onions turn dark brown (5-6 minutes), stirring frequently.
Now add 2 pounds (1 kg) of rinsed skinless bone-in chicken (cut into 1 and ½-inch pieces) to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring a few times.
Add the yogurt mixture and mix well.
Reduce the heat to medium-low.
Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 40-45 minutes, stirring a few times.
Add some water if the curry looks thick. Check for salt and add more if needed.
Add 1 tablespoon lime juice and mix well.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
The level of spiciness in dahi chicken curry can be adjusted to your preference by using more or less chili powder or other spices. Generally, it is mildly spicy but still flavorful.
Yes, boneless chicken can be used for dahi chicken curry. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and cook it for a shorter time than you would with bone-in chicken.
I like to serve it with Phulka, Steamed Rice, or Jeera Rice for my meals, but you can also serve it with other Indian bread such as Missi Roti, Laccha Paratha, Rumali Roti, etc.
It tastes great with Ghee Rice, Jeera Rice, or Veg Pulao.
Dahi chicken curry will last in the fridge for 2 to 3 days when stored properly in an airtight container.
Reheat it in a pan or microwave until nice and warm. Add hot water and adjust the consistency if it has become thick.
To freeze the dahi chicken curry, let it cool completely. Transfer it to a freezer-safe container, and freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it on the stove.
You Might Also Like
Easy Dahi Chicken Recipe (Yogurt Chicken Curry)
- 2 cups plain yogurt (dahi, curd)
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida)
- 2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 pounds skinless bone-in chicken (1 kg, cut into 1 and ½ inch pieces, rinsed)
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil (I prefer mustard oil)
- 3-4 whole cloves (lightly crushed)
- 5-6 whole black peppercorns (lightly crushed)
- 2 whole black cardamoms (lightly crushed )
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick (lightly crushed)
- 2-3 dry red chilies (stalks removed)
- 1 and ½ cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (fresh coriander leaves)
- Whisk yogurt with coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala powder, all-purpose flour, and salt. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Lightly crush cloves, black peppercorns, black cardamoms, and cinnamon stick in a mortar and pestle.
- When the oil is hot, add the crushed whole spices and dry red chilies and saute for 5-6 seconds.
- Add onions and cook until they turn light brown (5-6 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook until the onions turn dark brown (5-6 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Now add chicken to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 40-45 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add some water if the curry looks thick. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Add lime juice and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Mouthwatering Murg Chicken…looks too delish…
Is this a dry chicken dish?
It a gravy dish Divya, but you can adjust the amount of liquid. I like my gravies dryish, so have kept it less.
WOWOWOWOWWOWO…. THIS IS yummyliscious.. Tonight or tomorrow 100% this is being cooked .. bookmarking
Such an inviting………dish… delicious
I added cashewnut paste to make gravy enough and creamier. It turned out to be super delicious.
Super duper recipe. We loved it