There is a lot more to South Indian cuisine other than Idli, Dosa and Sambar, especially when it comes to the non vegetarian dishes.
When I first came to South India and tried the chicken/mutton recipes, I was hooked to the vast delicious dishes that absolutely satisfied my taste buds. Each and every dish was different from each other in terms of flavour and taste and was unique on its own.
While I loved all the dishes, this Chicken Chettinad took my heart and since then I am hooked to Chicken Chettinad. Spicy and tangy, Chicken Chettinad belongs to the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu and is made in almost all the households of this region.
So whenever I am in the mood to eat something spicy from South India, this Chicken Chettinad is on the menu. Learn how to make Chicken Chettinad, which can also be made for your house parties or get togethers. Here is the recipe of Chicken Chettinad.
What is Chicken Chettinad?
Chicken Chettinad is a semi dry chicken dish that belongs to Tamil Nadu and is popular all over South India.
You will find this one on the menu of almost every South Indian restaurant, and is eaten along with Steamed Rice, Biryani, Laccha Paratha, Phulka, Tawa Paratha or even Dosa. You can serve with any Indian Bread you prefer to make at home.
The ingredient that makes the onion tomato base of this dish different from other is the freshly grounded Chettinad masala and fresh coconut. While the chettinad masala gives it a hot and spicy flavour, fresh coconut adds a refreshing taste to it.
This Chettinad masala includes simple ingredients such as – curry leaves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, black peppercorns and red dry chillies. Just roast these ingredients and ground to make a fine powder.
This spice can be made before hand and stored in an airtight container for about 1-2 months at room temperature. So if you love this dish, as much as I do, get it ready beforehand so that it takes less time to cook Chettinad Chicken next time. You can use this masala in other Chettinad recipes too.
Chicken Chettinad Recipe
- 1 and 1/2 kgs Chicken
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp Vinegar
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 4-5 sprigs Curry leaves
- 3 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3-4 Cardamom Cardamom
- 1 tsp Black peppercorns
- 12 - 15 Dry red chilies
- 1 and 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 1 cup Fresh coconut grated
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 3 - 4 Green chili slit into half
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Red chili powder Can alter according to your taste
- 1 and 1/2 cup Tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Fresh coriander
- Mix chicken with 1 tsp salt and vinegar and keep aside for 1/2 an hour.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- When the oil is hot, add 2 sprigs of curry leaves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, black peppercorns and 8 - 10 dry red chilies.
- Fry till slightly browned and a nice aroma starts coming.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped onion and grated coconut and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Cool and grind the mixture in a grinder.
- Add 3 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add 2-3 sprigs of curry leaves and remaining onion.
- Fry till onion is golden brown.
- Add green chili, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Add the roasted and grounded mixture.
- Add a cup of water and cook for a minute.
- Add tomatoes, chicken and another cup of water and cover and cook till chicken is done.
- Add lime juice and fresh coriander and cook for a minute.
- Serve hot with Naan.