Ellu Sadam or Sesame Rice is a traditional Karnataka dish specially made during festivals. In this dish cooked rice is mixed with a spicy powder made primarily using sesame seeds. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Ellu is sesame seeds in Tamil and Karnataka and it is used to make a variety of dishes in these states.
Ellu Sadam is basically rice cooked with sesame seeds and is a traditional Tamil and Kannadiga dish made especially during the festivals.
It is even offered to the gods. Sankranti is celebrated with joy in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu and Ellu Sadam is certainly prepared on this day to add more cheer to the festivities.
This rice recipe is really simple to make and can be a great lunch box option.
I have used white sesame to make this dish but you can also use black sesame seeds. Serve it when it’s piping hot and let its subtle taste make your meals more appetizing!
This Ellu Sadam recipe is great to make for lunch or dinner and what gives it it’s unique taste is the addition of white sesame seeds or ellu as it is popularly known.
Step by Step Recipe
Wash the rice and soak in 2-3 cups of water for half an hour. Drain the water and add the rice in a pan. Add 2 cups of water and cover the pan with a lid. Keep the pan on low heat and cook till all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Cool for 5 minutes and then fluff the rice with a fork. Keep aside.
Dry roast all the ingredients to make sesame powder individually till browned and aromatic. Roasting chana dal.
Roasting urad dal
Now roasting peanuts
Ingredients cooling in plate
Grind in a blender to make a smooth powder. Add the powder in the cooled rice and mix well.
Heat oil for tempering in a pan. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splatter. Add curry leaves. Pour the oil over the rice. Mix well.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe works well with any variety of rice. Since Sona Masuri is the preferred rice used in South Indian, you will find most people making this dish using Sona Masuri rice.
You can choose any short grain rice to make this dish. Even basmati Rice works well as you can see in the picture 🙂
You might also like
Ellu Sadam Recipe
- 1 cup Rice
- 2 tsp Salt
For sesame powder
- 3 tbsp Chana Dal
- 3 tbsp Urad Dal
- ¼ cup Sesame Seeds
- 3 tbsp Peanuts
- 5-6 Dry Red Chillies
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coconut (Grated)
- ¼ tsp Hing
- 3 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- Wash the rice and soak in 2-3 cups of water for half an hour.
- Drain the water and add the rice in a pan.
- Add 2 cups of water and cover the pan with a lid.
- Keep the pan on low heat and cook till all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then fluff the rice with a fork.
- Keep aside.
- Dry roast all the ingredients except hing to make sesame powder individually till browned and aromatic.
- Grind in a blender along with hing to make a smooth powder.
- Add the powder in cooled rice and mix well.
- Heat oil for tempering in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splatter.
- Add curry leaves.
- Pour the oil over the rice.
- Mix well.
- Ellu sadam is ready. You can serve it either cold or warm it before serving.
- Serve it along with some pickle and papad.