Gajar Gobhi Shalgam ka Achar is a delicious Indian pickle made using fresh carrots, cauliflower and turnips. It is a winter special pickle which lasts throughout the year. Here is how to make it.
With freshest of winter produce flooding the shelves of local vegetable wala’s, I always get tempted to buy a lot of it. Turnips, carrots, cauliflower, peas and many more winter vegetables goes into the many stews, soups and curries that are devoured piping hot during the cold winter days.
I also remember Mom making this gajar gobhi aur shalgam ka achar every winter and the crispy bite into the flesh of the vegetables wrapped in a tangy masala kept us hogging in to many more pieces even after we have finished the food.
It’s a very simple recipe and all you have to take care is of the jar in which you store the pickle. It should be very clean to avoid the pickle from getting spoiled soon.
Gajar Gobhi Shalgam Achar Recipe
- 300 g Turnip / Shalgam (Peeled and cut into thin slices)
- 300 g Cauliflower / Phool Gobhi (Cut into small florets)
- 300 g Carrots / Gajar (Peeled and cut into thin slices)
- 60 g Mustard Seeds / Sarson (Coarsely ground)
- 10 g Chilli Powder
- 5 g Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Asafoetida / Heeng
- 60 g Salt
- 300 g Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel
- 20 g Garlic (Crushed)
- Heat water in a large pan.
- When it comes to a rolling boil, add the vegetables.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the water and run the vegetables under cold water.
- Spread the vegetables on a cotton cloth and let them dry for 3-4 hours.
- Mix ground mustard seeds, chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, garlic and vegetables and fill the mixture in a clean, sterilized jar.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan and cook till it starts to fume.
- Remove from heat once it starts to fume.
- Let it cool slightly.
- Add the cooled mustard oil in the jar.
- Put the jar in sun for 2 days.
- Shake the jar twice a day.
- The pickle is ready to eat in 2 days.
- It can be stored in a cool and dry place for up to 3-4 months.