Sirka Pyaz (Vinegar Onion, Indian Pickled Onions) is an Indian condiment that is a great accompaniment to any North Indian-style meal. Here is how to make it at home.
About This Recipe
Sirka Pyaz (Vinegar Onion, Indian Pickled Onions) is a popular Indian condiment that is served with North Indian meals. It is basically crunchy pearl onions dipped in a mixture of vinegar, water, salt, and sugar.
Sirka pyaj has a nice red color and a salty tangy sour taste that goes perfectly with Indian cuisine.
If you go to any North Indian restaurant, you will be served these sirke wala pyaaz along with other condiments like pickles and chutneys.
Making restaurant-style sirka pyaz recipe at home is very easy and it comes together in just 10 minutes using simple ingredients.
This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled if you are making it for a crowd.
Pearl Onions – Sirkaa Wale Pyaz are usually made using small pearl onions (baby onions) but if you don’t get them easily, then cut regular onions into small chunks and use them in the recipe.
Beetroot -Beetroot is totally optional but it gives a lovely pink hue to the onions.
Vinegar – Use regular white vinegar to pickle the onions.
Others – You will also need sugar, salt, and whole spices like green cardamoms, black cardamons, cinnamon, and cloves.
How To Make Sirka Pyaz
Add ½ cup water, 1-2 teaspoon cubed beetroot, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, 2-3 cloves, 1-2 green cardamoms, 1-inch piece of cinnamon stick, and 1 black cardamom to a saucepan.
Bring the mixture to boil over high heat.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and cool the mixture.
Add 1 cup peeled and washed pearl onions to a non-reactive jar (a glass jar is preferable).
Pour 1 cup white vinegar, 2 teaspoon salt, and the water mixture that we made earlier over the onions and stir gently.
Cover the jar with a lid and refrigerate it. Use the onions after 24 hours for up to 10 days.
Tip – Once the onions get over, you can add more onions to the same liquid 2-3 times before discarding it.
Serve sirke wale pyaz chilled or at room temperature along with any Indian meal.
You Might Also Like
Sirka Pyaz Recipe (Vinegar Onion, Indian Pickled Onions)
- ½ cup water
- 1-2 teaspoon cubed beetroot
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2-3 cloves
- 1-2 whole green cardamoms
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 1 whole black cardamom
- 1 cup peeled pearl onions
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Add water, beetroot, sugar, cloves, green cardamoms, cinnamon stick, and black cardamom to a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Add pearl onions to a non-reactive jar (a glass jar is preferable). Pour white vinegar, salt, and the water mixture that we made earlier over the onions and stir gently.
- Cover the jar and refrigerate it. Use the onions after 24 hours for up to 10 days.