Kakdi chi Koshimbir or Khamang Kakdi is a simple Maharashtrian and Gujarati salad made from cucumber, peanut, coconut, and few other Indian spices. Here is how to make it.
Summer makes me yearn to eat more salads. Salads not only help us to remain refreshed but they are also salubrious.
With summers at its full swing, I am eating a lot of salads and this Maharashtrian Khamang Kakdi is a perfect way to indulge in a hearty and filling salad.
In Marathi, ‘kakdi’ means cucumber and ‘koshimbir’ means salad. Hence, Khamang Kakdi/Kakdi chi Koshimbir is nothing but cucumber salad.
Along with cucumber, varied ingredients such as peanuts, coconut, green chilli, coriander, lemon juice, mustard seeds, curry leaves et al are added to this salad.
Do not mistake kakdi with the thin variety of cucumber as it’s called in North India.
The regular cucumber is used to make this salad.
The best thing about Khamang Kakdi/Kakdi chi Koshimbir is that it is very light on the stomach.
You may relish it with Katachi Amti and Rice or devour it as a snack during the evening.
I often munch on Khamang Kakdi as cucumber helps us in remaining hydrated and it even flushes toxins.
Cucumber also refreshes our body, controls our blood pressure, keeps kidney in shape and its benefits are just countless.
This summer beat the heat with an easy recipe of toothsome Khamang Kakdi/Kakdi chi Koshimbir.
I suggest prepare this simple salad every day this season and make the meal more nutritious for your family.
You can also make dahi koshimbir by adding this kakdi chi koshimbir in fresh curd.
You might also like
Step by Step Recipe
Add cucumber, coriander, chilli, peanuts, curd, and coconut in a bowl and mix well.
Heat vegetable oil in a pan.
When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and curry leaves and let them crackle for a few seconds.
Pour the tempering over the salad and mix well.
Refrigerate the salad for a few hours. Add salt, sugar and lemon juice just before you want to serve it.
Kakdi chi Koshimbir Recipe
- 2 cups Cucumber (Finely Chopped)
- 2 tsp Fresh Coriander (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Green Chilli (Finely Chopped)
- 2 tbsp Roasted Peanuts (Crushed)
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coconut (Grated)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- Add cucumber, coriander, chilli, peanuts, yogurt and coconut in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and curry leaves and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the salad and mix well.
- Refrigerate the salad for a few hours.
- Add salt, sugar and lemon juice just before you want to serve it.