This 15-minute buttery, tangy and creamy lemon garlic butter sauce is a super versatile sauce. Use it over pasta, fish, vegetable, chicken, or meat, it’s going to make you weak in your knees.
About This Recipe
Are you looking for a sauce recipe that instantly flavors up your grilled meat or vegetables, then you must try this lemon garlic butter sauce. Buttery, creamy, and a whole lot of zesty flavor from lemon, this sauce will surely tickle your taste buds.
This lemon and garlic butter sauce is a creamy and buttery thick sauce that has milk and white wine along with butter and lemon. Super simple to make, this sauce gets ready in just 15 minutes.
The consistency of this sauce is runny but it is thick enough to coat the food nicely. This recipe will give you approx 2 cups of lemon garlic sauce. You can easily half, double or triple the recipe.
If you love that lemony flavor in your recipes, then this sauce is for you. Believe me, once you pour this sauce over your dish, it will taste just like a fancy dish out of a professional chef’s kitchen.
So next time, grilled chicken, grilled shrimp or salmon, pan-seared scallops, or even grilled vegetables are on your menu, do give this lemon butter sauce a try.
Chicken Broth – The chicken broth is used to make the base of this creamy sauce. In case, you want a vegetarian version, you can use vegetable broth too.
White Wine – It adds a sweet and fruity taste to the buttery sauce. Use an inexpensive white wine with more tannin. The more fruit extract and tannin a wine has the deeper and richer flavor it will impart to the dish. Keep in mind that all the alcohol from the wine will be evaporated while cooking and only the flavor will remain.
If you want to skip adding wine, feel free.
Milk – Use whole milk as it makes this lemon butter sauce rich and creamy. Do not use skim milk or low-fat milk, it won’t give the same result.
Butter – This sauce has a lot of butter, do not get intimidated by the quantity and reduce it. Use good quality cold unsalted butter.
Flour – All-Purpose flour is added to thicken the sauce.
Lemon Juice – Here is the star ingredient, lemon juice. It adds a nice tangy and zesty taste, which makes it unique from other sauces. Use only fresh lemon juice. The bottled ones will not work in this recipe.
Other – Apart from the above ingredients you will need garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley. Fresh garlic adds a unique taste, but you can use garlic powder too.
Finish off with chopped fresh parsley. It adds a refreshing taste and color to this lemon butter sauce.
You can also add ¼ cup of shredded parmesan cheese at the end of cooking for a lovely umami flavor.
How to make Lemon Garlic Butter Sauce?
Start by adding ½ cup chicken broth, ½ cup white wine, ½ cup whole milk, 3 tsp minced garlic, and ¼ cup finely chopped onion to a medium-size saucepan. You can replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth to make a vegetarian sauce.
Cook on medium heat until the mixture is reduced to half. It will take 10-12 minutes.
Cut 16 tbsp (225 g) cold unsalted butter into 1-inch cubes. Add 1 cube of butter to a medium-size saucepan and cook on medium heat until it melts.
Add 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour and mix it well with the butter. Cook until it turns slightly brown (1-2 minutes). Keep stirring continuously while cooking.
Now slowly pour the reduced chicken broth mixture into the flour and butter mixture and keep whisking continuously using a wire whisk while pouring. Cook for a minute until the sauce slightly thickens.
Add the remaining butter to the pan and cook until it melts and combine with the sauce. Keep stirring frequently.
Add 6 tbsp lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
Garnish with chopped parsley. Butter sauce is ready. Use it as required.
Pour this delicious butter sauce on,
Sea Food – Shrimps, scallops, lobsters, crab, and fish such as salmon, cod, halibut, tuna, swordfish, or trout.
Chicken – Pour the sauce on grilled, poached, or roasted chicken for a flavourful and high protein meal.
Vegetables – It adds a great taste to grilled or sautéed vegetables, especially on asparagus green beans, brussels sprouts, artichokes, and broccoli.
This sauce can be refrigerated for 3-4 days. Do not freeze as it’s texture will change once you thaw it.
You might also like
Lemon Garlic Butter Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup chicken broth (use veg broth for vegetarian version.)
- ½ cup white wine (optional)
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 16 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Start by adding chicken broth, white wine, whole milk, minced garlic, and finely chopped onion to a medium-size saucepan. You can replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth to make a vegetarian sauce.
- Cook on medium heat until the mixture is reduced to half. It will take 10-12 minutes.
- Cut cold unsalted butter into 1-inch cubes. Add 1 cube of butter to a medium-size saucepan and cook on medium heat until it melts.
- Add all-purpose flour and mix it well with the butter. Cook until it turns slightly brown (1-2 minutes). Keep stirring continuously while cooking.
- Now slowly pour the reduced chicken broth mixture into the flour and butter mixture and keep whisking continuously using a wire whisk while pouring. Cook for a minute until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and cook until it melts and combine with the sauce. Keep stirring frequently.
- Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley. The sauce is ready. Use it as required.