It’s raining almost every day in Bangalore and we crave for some crispy and a spicy treat to enjoy the weather. On most of the weekdays, I have to rush with the breakfast and prepare breakfast, I can innovate and come up with new recipes during the weekend because I get so much me-time during the weekend. With all the deadlines met, I along with my family, need some yummy foodie therapy on the weekend. As monsoon has all arrived, that feeling to sip piping hot Adrak Wali Chai along with something munchy to eat never ceases to die. So, this weekend, I made Moongode. Moongode are crunchy, fried and easy to make, Indian lentil fritters which are delicious bites which can be eaten anytime when hunger strikes. Made using moong dal and a blend of various spices, Moongode look similar to potato or onion bajji. The moong dal keeps the batter together, and deep frying it, gives it a delicious flavor. You can eat Moongode as it is or enjoy it with Dhaniya Aur Amle Ki Chutney, tomato sauce or Dahi Ki Chutney.
Moongode are even made by many food joints, but let me tell you making them at your home from scratch has its own charm. This monsoon, make sure to prepare these and feast on this piping hot munchies with your choice of piping hot beverage, here’s its recipe:
Moongode / Indian Lentil Fritters
Recipe type: Appetizer
- Dhuli moong dal - 1 cup
- Ginger - 1 inch piece ( grated )
- Salt to taste
- Chaat masala - 1 tsp
- Spring onion greens - 2 cups
- Onion - 1 cup ( chopped )
- Coriander - 3 tbsp ( chopped )
- Green chili - 2 ( chopped )
- Oil for frying
- Wash and soak moong dal for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the moong dal in a blender to make a slightly coarse paste.
- Add a tbsp of water if required to make the paste.
- Take out the paste in a bowl and mix with your hands for 5 minutes to make it fluffy.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to this paste and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan.
- When the oil is hot, simmer the eat to medium low and drop small rounds of the mixture in the oil.
- Fry the moongode till nicely browned.
- Serve immediately with coriander chutney.