Paan Panna Cotta is a fusion dessert where panna cotta is flavored with betel leaves (paan), gulkand (rose jam), and Thandai powder. Make this delicious dessert this Holi.
About This Recipe
Paan Panna Cotta is a delicious fusion dessert where the classic Italian dessert panna cotta is flavored with betel leaves, gulkand, thandai powder, and rose water.
This creamy and toothsome dessert is very easy to make and is highly addictive! It comes together using a handful of ingredients and can be made in advance.
Panna Cotta translates to “cooked cream” in Italian. This silky pudding dessert is quite popular and is prepared with just 3 ingredients – heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. To give it an Indian twist, I added paan flavors to it and they paired very well.
This innovative dessert recipe is perfect to serve for the upcoming festival of Holi. It can also be served for other festivals, special occasions, or house soirees.
So make this kesariya paan thandai panna cotta recipe this festive season and let me know in the comments how you liked it.
If you are want to try other variations of pannacotta, then try vanilla panna cotta, mango panna cotta, or strawberry panna cotta recipe.
Milk and Heavy Cream – Milk and heavy cream make the base of this dessert.
Replace regular dairy milk with almond milk or coconut milk for a delicious change in flavor.
Agar-Agar Powder – The addition of agar-agar powder helps the panna cotta to set perfectly and also gives it a custard-like consistency. It is a vegetarian substitute for gelatin powder. If you are fine using gelatin powder, you can use it in place of agar-agar powder.
Betel Leaves – Also called pan leaves, it is the star ingredient of this recipe that gives it a refreshing paan flavor.
Thandai Powder – You can either make Thandai Powder at home or use a store-bought one.
Gulkand – It’s an Indian rose petal jam that adds a rich flavor to pannacotta.
Others – You will also need rose water, water, and granulated sugar.
Pro Tips By Neha
You can either set the dessert directly in the serving bowls or in molds so you can unmold them once they are set. Use a silicone muffin pan or cups to set it up. Once set, run a knife around the edges and unmold the panna cotta on the serving plate.
You can use heavy whipping cream in place of regular whipping cream. Keep in consideration that whipping cream had added sugar while the regular heavy cream is unsweetened.
Top the creamy Pannacotta with rose syrup, homemade strawberry sauce, or chocolate sauce to serve as a dessert. To make it look more appealing, sprinkle some crushed nuts and dried rose petals on top.
You can also top it with fresh fruits like mangoes, blood oranges, bananas, strawberries, etc.
Paan Pannacotta stays for good 10-12 days in the refrigerator, if kept tightly wrapped or in a covered container. Make sure you use a clean and dry spoon for every use, which will ensure that the pannacotta lasts longer.
It is also freezer friendly! It will easily last for 2 months in the freezer. Thaw it completely overnight in the fridge before serving.
You Might Also Like
Paan Panna Cotta Recipe
- 2 teaspoons agar-agar powder
- 1 cup whole milk (full-fat milk) (divided)
- 3-4 betel leaves (paan)
- 1 tablespoon rose jam (gulkand)
- 1 tablespoon Thandai powder
- ½ teaspoon rose water
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Add agar-agar powder to a small bowl.
- Add ½ cup milk to the bowl and mix well to make a lump-free mixture.
- Keep this mixture aside for 5 minutes. Agar agar will bloom in this time.
- Now tear the betel leaves into small pieces and add the betel leaves, gulkand, thandai powder, rose water, and water into the small jar of a blender and blend to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Add heavy cream, remaining ½ cup milk, and sugar to a saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the bloomed agar-agar mixture and betel leaves paste to the pan and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let this mixture rest for an hour for the flavors to steep.
- Pass the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Pour the mixture into small serving bowls and cover the bowls using cling wrap.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours to set completely.
- Garnish with saffron soaked in water and almond and pistachio slivers. Serve chilled.