Bored of making the classic rabdi at home? Then try this new version, Strawberry Rabdi which is loaded with both strawberry puree and chopped strawberries. It is creamy, fruity, and needs very few basic ingredients. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Strawberry Rabdi is an interesting twist to your traditional rabdi!
This thick, creamy and fruity version has the goodness of sweet thickened milk along with red and juicy strawberries.
To make this lip-smacking dessert recipe, milk is cooked along with sugar on low heat until it is reduced and reached a thick and creamy consistency.
It is then cooled and strawberry puree and chopped strawberries are added to it to give it a sweet and mildly tangy flavor.
This is an incredible North Indian dessert that can be made in summers when markets are loaded with fresh strawberries.
Be it a get-together, a festival, or a wedding, this strawberry rabdi will surely be a winner.
Milk – Use whole milk (full-fat milk) for the best taste and creamy texture.
You can use skim milk or low-fat milk too but the result won’t be as good.
Cornstarch – Adding cornstarch makes the rabri thicken faster and reduces the cooking time to almost half. Amazing, right?
Sugar – You can adjust the sugar depending on how sweet you want the dessert to be.
Strawberries – The star ingredient of this dessert is strawberries.
This recipe uses both – strawberry puree and chopped strawberries. While the puree adds a sweet tangy flavor, chopped strawberries give a lovely bite.
Get your hands on fresh, red, and juicy strawberries. Avoid the ones that have blemishes and soft patches.
Nuts – You can garnish it with slivered almonds and pistachios. They will add a nice crunch to the rabri too.
Strawberry Rabdi will last in the fridge for about 2 to 3 days when stored in an air-tight container.
Use a clean and dry spoon every time you take it out from the container and close the lid tightly again.
To increase the shelf life, you can freeze it for 2 months in a freezer-safe container.
Thaw it over the counter for 2 to 3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator and serve chilled.
Mix it well once it is thawed completely.
You Might Also Like
Strawberry Rabdi Recipe
- 1 litre whole milk (full-fat milk)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- ¼ cup strawberry puree
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat and bring it to a boil. Stir frequently to avoid scorching at the bottom of the pan.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low.
- Keep stirring and scraping the sides of the pan every 2-3 minutes. Cook the milk till it is reduced to half (20-25 minutes).
- Mix cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water and add the slurry to the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the rabdi thickens, stirring frequently.
- Add sugar and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Check for sugar and add more if required. Cook for another minute for the sugar to dissolve.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the rabdi cool down completely.
- Add strawberry puree and chopped strawberries to the cooled rabdi and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Garnish with almond and pistachio slivers and serve chilled.