Poha Bhel is a healthy snack that you must try. It is easy to make, vegan, and great to munch along with tea or coffee. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Poha Bhel is a healthy snack that you can make for your tea time. It is super easy to make and comes together in just 10 minutes using simple ingredients. This easy snack is crunchy, delicious, and definitely addictive!
A combination of onion, coconut, and diet poha chivda (puffed flattened rice) is tempered with green chilies and curry leaves that enhance its flavor even more.
This dish tastes best when served fresh. Serve it immediately after mixing the diet poha with other ingredients so that the crunch is intact while you are eating it.
Diet Poha Chivda – This diet poha chivda is basically puffed flattened rice mixed with some besan sev. You will find it at any Indian grocery store.
In case diet chivda is not available, you can deep fry the regular poha until nice and crispy and use in this bhel. Any variety of poha can be used to make chivda.
Coconut – Use grated fresh coconut to make the bhel. To save time, buy already grated fresh coconut. You will find it in the freezer section of any Indian grocery store.
Others – You will also need salt, sugar, onions, and lime juice.
For tempering – Temper the bhel with oil, green chilies, asafetida, curry leaves, and turmeric powder. You can adjust green chilies as per your taste.
How To Make Poha Bhel
Mix ½ cup chopped onions, ½ cup finely grated fresh coconut, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, and 1 tablespoon lime juice in a bowl.
Heat 2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.
When the oil is hot, add ¼ teaspoon asafetida, 10-12 chopped curry leaves, and 2 teaspoon chopped green chilies and let them crackle for 4-5 seconds.
Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder to the pan and saute for 6-8 seconds.
Pour the tempering over the onion coconut mixture and mix well.
Add 100 g diet poha chivda to the bowl and mix well.
You Might Also Like
Poha Bhel Recipe
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup finely grated fresh coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 100 grams diet poha chivda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida
- 10-12 chopped curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped green chilies
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Mix onions, coconut, salt, sugar, and lime juice in a bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add asafetida, curry leaves, and green chilies and let them crackle for 4-5 seconds.
- Add turmeric powder to the pan and saute for 6-8 seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the onion coconut mixture and mix well.
- Add diet poha chivda to the bowl and mix well.
- Serve immediately.