Lauki Ka Halwa… At our home, bottle gourd is not liked much. My son and hubby make faces as soon as they get to know that it’s lauki for lunch. But when I made this halwa, they just loved it. It is easy to make and can be eaten during the fasting period. Dudhi Halwa or Lauki ka Halwa is a simple and easy sweet dish that uses the basic ingredient of bottle gourd. It’s a popular dish made all over India and the vegetable is a staple in many families. Bottle gourd is rich in minerals and vitamins and also hydrates the body. There are plenty of sweet dishes that can be prepared from this humble vegetable, Lauki Ki Kheer and Lauki Ki Barfi are two common ones that can also be had during the fasting period.
Being soft and creamy, Lauki Ka Halwa can be eaten by elders as well. An occasional treat of Lauki Ka Halwa surprises my family so much that if I find fresh Lauki in the supermarket, I make sure to buy it to make this decadent dessert. Sometimes, just to pamper myself a little, I make Lauki Ka Halwa and I enjoy eating every bit of it! Wondering how to make Lauki Ka Halwa at home, well here’s its recipe for you all:
Lauki Ka Halwa
Recipe type: Dessert
- Ghee - 4 tbsp
- Almonds - 10-12 ( broken into small pieces )
- Cashewnuts - 10-12 ( broken into small pieces )
- Lauki - 3 cups ( Peeled, seeded and grated using medium size grater )
- Full cream milk - 3 cups
- Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
- Rose water - ½ tsp
- Sugar - ½ cup + 2 tbsp
- Khoya - 200gm ( cooked till slightly browned )
- Dry fruits for garnishing
- Boil the milk in a pan.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add almonds and cashewnuts and fry till golden brown.
- Add lauki and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the boiled milk.
- Simmer the heat and cook till all the milk has reduced.
- Add cardamom powder and rose water.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add khoya and sugar and cook till the desired consistency is reached.
- Garnish with almonds and pistachio slivers.