Thandai Phirni is a twist on the traditional Phirni recipe which is a rice pudding and making it very Holi-ish by adding some Thandai Masala Powder to it. Here is how to make Thandai Phirni.
Holi is just round the corner and this is the time to celebrate, enjoy with your friends and family. Whenever there is a celebration, there has to be good food to go along and I am in a constant process to come up with recipes that are perfect to make for holi and add on to the festivity.
This Thandai Phirni is a twist on the traditional Phirni recipe which is a rice pudding and making it very Holi-ish by adding some Thandai Masala Powder to it.
Thandai is synonymous to Holi and so instead of making the drink this time, you can surprise your friends and family with this delicious dessert. Here is how to make Thandai Phirni.
To learn more Holi recipes, do visit this link. We have tried and tested many Holi recipes in our kitchen and you will be delighted to make them for yourself.
Here is how to make Thandai Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 and 1/2 litre Full cream milk
- 3 tbsp Long grain basmati rice
- 15-20 Saffron (Soaked in 2 tbsp milk)
- 3 tbsp Thandai masala powder
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Wash the rice and soak in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and grind in a blender to make a coarse paste.
- Heat ghee in heavy bottom pan.
- Add milk.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, simmer the heat.
- Add ground rice, thunder masala powder and saffron soaked in milk and cook on low heat till the milk is reduced to half and the phirni has thickened.
- Keep in mind that phirni will thicken some more once cooled.
- Transfer the phirni in terracotta pots and chill in refrigerator.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio slivers, silver foil and dried rose petals.
- Serve chilled.