Tikka Masala Spice Mix is a spicy and pungent spice blend that is used to make tikka recipes. Make it at home in just 10 minutes using my easy recipe.
About This Recipe
Tikka Masala Spice Mix is a spicy and fragrant blend of a few spices and is used to make popular Indian tikka dishes like paneer tikka, chicken tikka, mushroom tikka, fish tikka, etc. It is very easy to make at home and comes together in just 15 minutes using simple ingredients.
Although it is easily available in stores, I always prefer to make it at home. Homemade tikka masala powder is much better than the store-bought one because
- It is made using high quality ingredients
- Free of preservatives
- Free of artificial colors
- Tastes much better
This recipe will give you approximately ½ cup of the spice mix. You can half, double, or triple the recipe as per your requirements.
This tikka masala is a fine mix of spices such as whole coriander seeds, cumin seeds, whole black peppercorns, dry Kashmiri red chilies, whole black cardamoms, whole green cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric powder, dry mango powder (amchoor), and Kashmiri red chili powder.
Use any dry red chilies that are easily available. I prefer to use Kashmiri dry red chilies as they add beautiful red color to the masala without making it too spicy.
How To Make Tikka Masala Spice
Dry roast 3 tablespoon whole coriander seeds, 3 tablespoon cumin seeds, 2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, 15-20 whole dry Kashmiri red chilies (stalks removed), 4-5 whole black cardamoms, 5-6 whole green cardamoms, 2-inch piece of cinnamon stick and 5-6 cloves on low heat until lightly browned and fragrant (8-10 minutes). Keep stirring continuously while roasting.
Remove the pan from the heat and let the ingredients cool down completely.
Transfer the roasted ingredients to a grinder or a food processor along with ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 2 tablespoon dry mango powder (amchoor), and 2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder. Grind to make a smooth powder.
Store the spice mix in an airtight container and use as required.
Use this tikka masala to make your favorite tikka appetizer recipes such as chicken tikka, achari paneer tikka, or gravy recipes such as chicken tikka masala, mushroom tikka masala, paneer tikka masala, veg tikka masala, etc.
You can also use this spice to flavor up your fusion Indian sandwiches and wraps.
Tikka masala powder can be made beforehand and stored in a clean and dry airtight container for up to 2-3 months so that it comes in handy when you are preparing one of your favorite tikka recipes.
You Might Also Like
Tikka Masala Spice Mix Recipe
- 3 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 15-20 whole dry Kashmiri red chilies (stalks removed)
- 4-5 whole black cardamoms
- 5-6 whole green cardamoms
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 5-6 cloves
- ½ teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons dry mango powder (amchoor)
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri red chili powder
- Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, Kashmiri red chilies, black cardamoms, green cardamoms, cinnamon stick, and cloves on low heat until lightly browned and fragrant (8-10 minutes). Keep stirring continuously while roasting.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the ingredients cool down completely.
- Transfer the roasted ingredients to a grinder or a food processor along with turmeric powder, dry mango powder, and Kashmiri red chili powder.
- Grind to make a smooth powder.
- Store the spice mix in an airtight container and use as required.