When we came to the US, I had this habit of converting the currency from dollars to Indian rupee. Every time we went shopping, I would convert the rates to Indian rupee and avoid to buy a lot of things, which I thought are too expensive for that rate. Fresh coriander was among one of those things which I always bought but never used it lavishly. A small bunch for 2 dollars was too expensive to me. Then we found a store where you get Coriander really cheap, but it comes in bundle of 3. It’s kind of difficult to use all the 3 bundles before they get spoiled. Then Coriander chutney comes to the rescue. Just dump all the leftover coriander with a few other ingredients in a blender and you are happy , you could save the precious coriander from going into the bin. Now what do you do when you have excess chutney lying in your fridge, screaming to be used. You make Coriander Chicken.
The modification which I did when I made the dish second time was I did not made chutney. Instead I used only coriander leaves because I put a lot of lemon in my chutney and so the resulting gravy was a little too tangy.
Recipe to make Chicken In Coriander Gravy
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade and cover and refrigerate it for 4-8 hours
- Add oil in a heavy bottom pan
- When the oil is hot, add onion
- Fry the onions till golden brown
- When the onions are golden brown, add coriander powder
- Fry for half minute, continuously stirring
- Add the chicken with the marinade to the pan
- Cook for 4-5 minute on high heat
- Keep stirring in between
- Blend coriander and green chilies with a cup of water in a blender
- Add to the pan
- Add garam masala and salt
- Cook till chicken is done ( approx 10-12 minutes )