Birista is thin onion slices deep fried in oil till golden brown and crisp. Use them for making biryani, soups, dals, sandwiches. Because, they make those dishes tastier. So, here’s how to make fried onions at home in no time!
Onions are one of those ingredients that I always place my bets on. Make Onion Marmalade or Onion Pakora, onion simply create the best dishes that you can eat across the year. However, I have realized that deep fried onions create the best dishes as well. They are popularly called Birista.
I always have a big box full of Birista in my refrigerator to sprinkle over my everyday dal and rice and also to make quick kormas and other gravies. You will be surprised to see how this simple thing can take your everyday food to another level. Another good thing about Birista is that it keeps good in the refrigerator for up to a month, so making a big batch once and then using it throughout the month makes it very convenient. Although the process to make Birista is only frying onions in oil till browned, there are small tips and tricks which will help you make it in a perfect way.
How to make crispy, golden brown Birista at home?
- Use thinly sliced onions so that they get fried well.
- Make sure to fry them in a hot oil. Because, otherwise they would turn soggy and oily.
- Drain all the water from the onion before frying the slices.
Sharing my experience here to make perfect Birista or Golden Fried Onions. BTW, you can anytime use them while making Vegetable Dum Biryani or even its other variations. So, do note its recipe and make sure that you prepare Birista at home for enhancing your dishes.
Birista | Fried Onions recipe
Make Perfect Birista
Equipment Required – Frying pan.
Make Perfect Birista / Crispy Golden Fried Onions
- Onions - 1 kg
- Oil for frying
- Peel the onions and wash them.
- Cut the onions into thin slices.
- Make sure the slices are almost equal in size to ensure even browning.
- Take a large kitchen towel and spread the onion slices over it.
- Leave aside for a few hours to get rid of the excess moisture.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- The oil should be enough to cover the onion slices.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion.
- Fry on high heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Now simmer the heat and fry till onions are golden brown.
- Keep stirring the onions.
- Remove the onions on a plate lined with kitchen tissue.
- Keep in mind that onions will brown slightly more even after taking out from the oil.
- Spread the Birista over the plate lined with kitchen tissue.
- Leave the Birista on the plate for 4-5 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a month.