Murgh Shahjahani is a dish which we all look forward to eating on a weekend during our cosy family lunch. To catch up on all the lost times, a fresh home made meal works as a pacifier and renews happiness. Murgh Shahjahani, a basket of piping hot Pudina Laccha Parathas and royal Vegetable Dum Biryani, what more could you ask for on Friday? I love to prepare new dishes on weekends, Murgh Shahjahani is also on of those many dishes which I had specially ideated for the weekends. Juicy chicken pieces in a rich and creamy gravy made with dry fruits, onion and spices turned to be absolutely finger-licking. My kid loves eating Murgh Shahjahani with Zeera Rice sometimes, as far as he relishes such a wholesome meal, I have got nothing to worry at all.
My mother used to prepare Murgh Shahjahani as well. Her recipe was more traditional and definitely tasted heavenly. She taught me to garnish Murgh Shahjahani with boiled eggs, coriander and enhance it more. You could do the same! Follow the quick recipe for crafting delicious Murgh Shahjahani at home and let it make you look forward to the Friday lunch! To learn more interesting recipes, do follow on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to join our genial Whisk Affair Community, see you soon!
Murgh Shahjahani / Chicken in a rich Creamy Gravy
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
- Cloves - 3-4
- Black Cardamom - 2
- Green cardamom - 2
- Onion - 1 and 1/2 cup Chopped
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Poppy seeds - 2 tsp
- Musk melon seeds - 2 tsp
- Cashew nuts - 10-12
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder - 2 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Chicken - 1 kg
- Yogurt - 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cream - 2 tbsp
- Kewra essence - 4-5 drops
- Fresh coriander for garnishing
- Boiled eggs to serve along - 3-4 cut into halves
- Soak poppy seeds, musk melon seeds and cashew nuts in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Grind to make a fine paste. ( I used my coffee grinder to grind these into a smooth paste )
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan.
- Add cloves, black cardamom and green cardamom and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry till translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till onion turns translucent.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the onion mixture cool.
- Once cooled, grind in a grinder along with little water to make a smooth paste.
- Transfer the paste in the karahi along with the seeds and nuts paste we ground initially.
- Add little water if required.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, garam masala powder and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add yogurt along with 1/2 cup of water and cover and cook the chicken for 30-35 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Add fresh cream and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add kewra essence and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Arrange the boiled eggs on top.
- Serve hot with Naan or Laccha Paratha.