Looking for a different and unique dessert to make? These Crispy Sesame Honey Noodles Recipe or Darsaan as called in the local language are a delicious option for you. Serve them with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and see your guests wipe off the plates. Here is how to make it.
About the recipe
Honey Fried Noodles, popularly known as Darsaan is a traditional Chinese dessert.
Traditionally, it is made with wonton wrappers which are cut into strips or sometimes flat noodles are used.
Here, for convenience sake, I am using regular Hakka noodles instead of wonton wrappers as it is easily available.
The fried noodles are soaked in a honey butter sauce and served with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and ice cream.
You can use any type of noodles you like to make this dish.
Use round thin noodles or even flat noodle, as per your liking.
To make this dessert, noodles are first boiled and allowed to dry completely on a kitchen towel.
Some cornflour is added to the dried noodles and it’s gently mixed so that the noodle strips are coated nicely with cornflour.
Cornflour helps to absorb any moisture that’s present in the noodles.
Next oil is heated in a pan and the noodles are fried in batches till it becomes golden brown and crisp.
The fried noodles are then laid out on absorbent paper. In the process, these fried noodles are slightly crushed.
For a lovely crunch to this dessert, almonds are blanched in some boiling water for a few minutes and then it is deskinned.
You can roast dry almonds and walnuts till lightly brown if you wish to.
Next for the sauce, butter is melted in a pan, followed by the addition of sugar and water.
The sugar is allowed to caramelize after which honey is added and mixed in.
Keeping the flame on low, sesame seeds, roasted almonds and walnuts are added, the fried noodles are also added in and it’s coated completely with honey sauce.
The honey fried noodles or Darsaan are plated hot with vanilla ice cream.
It’s then garnished with sesame seeds and a generous helping of honey is drizzled on the ice cream.
Remember, it is to be served fresh and hot, else the sugar can thicken and form crystals on the noodle strips.
It’s full of the crunchy goodness of fried noodles, coupled with a one of a kind honey glaze, it’s one of those hot and cold desserts that you can enjoy as a special dessert, and the kiddos are sure to love this decadent treat.
Check out some of the other Chinese recipes I’ve posted: Chinese Sweet and Sour Veg, Chinese Style Lychee Chicken, Vegetables in Chinese Chilli Garlic Sauce, Chinese Cashew Chicken and Schezwan Fried Rice..
You might also like
Step by Step Recipe
Completely dry the boiled noodles on a kitchen towel.
Add cornflour to noodles and gently mix it to coat nicely. This is to absorb any moisture left.
Heat oil for frying in a pan. When it becomes hot, deep fry the noodles in batches till golden and crisp. Fry the noodles in batches.
Transfer the noodles to an absorbent paper. Crush them slightly.
To prepare the sauce, add butter in a pan. Let it melt. Add sugar and water. Let the sugar caramelise and become slightly brown in colour.
Add honey and mix well. Keep the flame on low.
Quickly stir in both the sesame seeds (keep some aside for garnishing), walnuts and almonds.
Gently stir in fried noodles. Coat the noodles with the sauce.
Switch off the flame. Place the noodles on a serving plate. Serve it hot with chilled vanilla ice cream scoops. Garnish with leftover sesame seeds and drizzle some honey on top of ice cream.
- 1 and 1/2 cup Hakka Noodles (Boiled)
- 2-3 tbsp Cornflour
- Oil for Frying the noodles
- 15 Almonds
- 10-12 Walnuts
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Water
- 4 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Black Sesame Seeds (Roasted)
- 1/2 tsp White Sesame Seeds (Roasted)
- 4 scoop Vanilla Ice Cream
- Completely dry the boiled noodles on a kitchen towel.
- Add cornflour to noodles and gently mix it to coat nicely.
- This is to absorb any moisture left.
- Heat oil for frying in a pan.
- When it becomes hot, deep fry the noodles in batches till golden and crisp.
- Transfer the noodles to an absorbent paper.
- Crush them slightly.
- Blanch the almonds in boiling water for 5-10 mins.
- Then remove its skin.
- Dry roast almonds and walnuts till light golden spots appear on them. This step is optional.
- To prepare the sauce, add butter in a pan.
- Let it melt.
- Add sugar and water.
- Let the sugar caramelise and become slightly brown in colour.
- Add honey and mix well.
- Keep the flame on low.
- Quickly stir in both the sesame seeds( keep some aside for garnishing), walnuts and almonds.
- Gently stir in fried noodles.
- Coat the noodles with the sauce.
- Switch off the flame.
- Place the noodles on a serving plate.
- Serve it hot with chilled vanilla ice cream scoops.
- Garnish with leftover sesame seeds and drizzle some honey on top of ice cream.