Looking for a different and unique dessert to make? These Crispy Sesame Honey Noodles Recipe or Darsaan as called in the local language are a delicious option for you. Serve them with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and see your guests wipe off the plates. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Honey Noodles, popularly known as Darsaan is a traditional Chinese dessert.
Traditionally, it is made with wonton wrappers which are cut into strips or sometimes flat noodles are used.
Here, for convenience sake, I am using regular Hakka noodles instead of wonton wrappers as it is easily available.
The fried noodles are soaked in a honey butter sauce and served with a sprinkling of sesame seeds. Scoop some vanilla ice cream on top and enjoy this Chinese goodness.
This is an apt dessert, after a delicious Chinese meal during your house parties or even as a dessert for your weekend brunch.
These Honey Noodles are,
- Easy to make
- Loved by everyone
- Served with Ice Cream
Noodles – I have used Hakka Noodles, as they are easily available, but you can use any type of noodles you like to make this dish.
To coat the Noodles – To make sure that Noodles, has no moisture left, we will coat it with cornflour. So that while deep frying, it becomes crispy.
For the Sauce – For the sweet sauce, we will need sugar, butter, water, honey, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, almonds, and walnuts.
Blanch the Almonds before adding to the sauce. Just keep them in hot water for 10 minutes and peel the skin.
Ice Cream – Top these Noodles with chilled vanilla ice cream and enjoy. The soft creamy ice cream tastes delicious with crispy caramelized noodles.
Step by Step Recipe
Completely dry the boiled noodles on a kitchen towel.
Add cornflour to noodles and gently mix it to coat nicely. This is to absorb any moisture left.
Heat oil for frying in a pan. When it becomes hot, deep fry the noodles in batches till golden and crisp. Fry the noodles in batches.
Transfer the noodles to an absorbent paper. Crush them slightly.
To prepare the sauce, add butter in a pan. Let it melt. Add sugar and water. Let the sugar caramelise and become slightly brown in colour.
Add honey and mix well. Keep the flame on low.
Quickly stir in both the sesame seeds (keep some aside for garnishing), walnuts and almonds.
Gently stir in fried noodles. Coat the noodles with the sauce.
Switch off the flame. Place the noodles on a serving plate. Serve it hot with chilled vanilla ice cream scoops. Garnish with leftover sesame seeds and drizzle some honey on top of ice cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use round thin noodles or even flat noodles, as per your liking. You can even cut wonton wrappers in stripes and use them to make Darsaan.
The honey fried noodles or Darsaan are plated hot with vanilla ice cream.
It’s then garnished with sesame seeds and a generous helping of honey is drizzled on the ice cream.
Remember, it is to be served fresh and hot, else the sugar can thicken and form crystals on the noodle strips.
You can also top it with fresh fruit puree, such as Mango Puree in Summers.
You can fry the noodles and store them at room temperature for about 4 to 5 days. Also, make the sauce and store in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Heat in a microwave, mix, top with ice cream, and serve.
You might also like
- 1 and ½ cup Hakka Noodles (Boiled)
- 2-3 tablespoon Cornflour
- Oil for Frying the noodles
- 15 Almonds
- 10-12 Walnuts
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 5 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoon Water
- 4 tablespoon Honey
- ½ teaspoon Black Sesame Seeds (Roasted)
- ½ teaspoon White Sesame Seeds (Roasted)
- 4 scoop Vanilla Ice Cream
- Completely dry the boiled noodles on a kitchen towel.
- Add cornflour to noodles and gently mix it to coat nicely.
- This is to absorb any moisture left.
- Heat oil for frying in a pan.
- When it becomes hot, deep fry the noodles in batches till golden and crisp.
- Transfer the noodles to an absorbent paper.
- Crush them slightly.
- Blanch the almonds in boiling water for 5-10 mins.
- Then remove its skin.
- Dry roast almonds and walnuts till light golden spots appear on them. This step is optional.
- To prepare the sauce, add butter in a pan.
- Let it melt.
- Add sugar and water.
- Let the sugar caramelise and become slightly brown in colour.
- Add honey and mix well.
- Keep the flame on low.
- Quickly stir in both the sesame seeds( keep some aside for garnishing), walnuts and almonds.
- Gently stir in fried noodles.
- Coat the noodles with the sauce.
- Switch off the flame.
- Place the noodles on a serving plate.
- Serve it hot with chilled vanilla ice cream scoops.
- Garnish with leftover sesame seeds and drizzle some honey on top of ice cream.