Bhang Ki Chutney (Hemp Seeds Chutney) is a traditional Uttarakhandi preparation. Make this non-psychoactive, quick, and easy chutney at home (vegan).
About Bhang Ki Chutney (Hemp Seeds Chutney)
Bhang Ki Chutney (Hemp Seeds Chutney) is a simple and easy pahadi recipe popularly prepared in Uttarakhand households.
Bhang seeds are non-psychoactive and hence this chutney is safe to eat for all including children.
Serve this bhang seeds chutney with your everyday Indian-style meals or simply smear it on a ragi roti (finger millet roti, madua) for a snack or light lunch.
Here are some more chutney recipes that you may like
- Guava Chutney
- Mint Coconut Chutney
- Raw Mango Chutney
- Bombay Chutney
- Dahi Chutney
- Onion Tomato Chutney
- Tomato Pachadi
- Sweet Tomato Chutney
What Are Bhang Seeds
The hemp or bhang seeds come from bhang (hemp, cannabis, marijuana plant). They don’t have any psychoactive properties unlike the bhang leaves, therefore they are safe to eat for adults as well as kids.
Bhang seeds are considered very nutritious and can be used in many recipes. You can use also use them to make hemp oil or hemp milk, a great substitute for milk for vegans.
Bhang ke seeds can be toasted and used as a topping for pancakes, salads, bread, waffles, etc.
Check out the health benefits and some side effects of hemp seeds here.
For The Chutney
To make the chutney, you will need hemp seeds, cilantro (fresh coriander leaves), green chillies, fresh ginger, garlic, salt, and lime juice.
Hemp seeds are available at large grocery stores these days. You can also check online grocery portals to buy these seeds.
Adjust the green chilies depending on how spicy you want the chutney to be.
For The Tempering
The chutney is tempered with 2 simple ingredients – ghee and dry red chillies.
Hemp Seeds Chutney can be served on the side with everyday meals. A little on the side can really perk up the taste of your simple meals.
In Uttarakhand homes, they simply smear the ragi roti (finger millet roti) with this chutney and enjoy it for a light meal or evening snack.
You can also serve this chutney with your favorite snacks just like you would serve green chutney.
This chutney can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
You Might Also Like
Bhang Ki Chutney Recipe (Hemp Seeds Chutney)
For The Chutney
- ½ cup hemp seeds (bhang seeds)
- 1 cup cilantro (fresh coriander leaves) (rinsed, packed)
- 2 teaspoons chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 3-4 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2-3 whole dry red chilies
Make The Chutney
- Add hemp seeds to a pan and dry roast on low heat until they are lightly browned (3-4 minutes). Stir continuously while roasting.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the seeds cool completely.
- Add the roasted seeds to a blender along with cilantro, green chilies, ginger, garlic, salt, and lime juice.
- Add ½ cup water and blend to make a smooth chutney.
Temper The Chutney
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium heat.
- Once the ghee is hot, add dry red chilies to the pan and saute for 4-5 seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Serve the chutney at room temperature.