Celery smoothie is a delicious combination of fresh celery, cucumber, and banana. This super healthy, nutrients rich green smoothie comes together in under 5 minutes and is great to serve for breakfast.
About This Recipe
Celery smoothie is a delicious blend of fresh celery, cucumber, banana, fresh ginger, and orange juice. This green smoothie is loaded with vitamins and minerals and makes for a super healthy breakfast.
Prepared with just 5 ingredients in 5 minutes, it can also be enjoyed as a nutritious snack whenever the hunger sets in. It is filling and wholesome, and will keep you full for a longer time.
The key to making a delicious celery smoothie is the balance of ingredients. If you add too much celery or ginger, the smoothie will taste bitter. Orange juice, cucumber, and banana balance these flavors very well and are highly recommended. You can replace them with sweet apples too.
This smoothie is vegan and gluten free too.
Here are some more smoothie recipes lined up for you, that are nutrient-rich and delicious
- Beet Banana Smoothie
- Healthy Pineapple Banana Smoothie
- Healthy Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Mango Kale Smoothie
- Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
- Pomegranate Plunge Tropical Smoothie
- Mango Banana Smoothie
- Cherry Banana Smoothie
This green goodness needs just 5 ingredients – cucumber, celery, ginger, orange juice and banana.
Celery – Use fresh and firm celery stalks. They should not feel rubbery and avoid the one with discolouring or spotting.
Cucumber – Cucumbers are bitter sometimes and if they are, they will turn the smoothie bitter too. Taste a piece of the cucumber before using it in the recipe.
Orange Juice – I prefer to use freshly squeezed orange juice as it has no added sugar and it’s loaded with nutrients. Having said that, use store-bought juice if you are pressed with time. You can also replace orange juice with apple juice or pineapple juice.
Banana – Peeled, chopped, and frozen banana will add natural sweetness and gives the smoothie a creamier texture.
To freeze the banana, peel and slice it. Arrange the slices on a baking tray in a single layer. Freeze for 3-4 hours. Gather in a ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Ginger – The addition of ginger adds a little hint of spiciness along with making the smoothie super refreshing.
Peeling – Hold a piece of ginger root firmly in one hand and the bowl of a metal spoon firmly in the other hand. Scrape the edge of the spoon against the ginger to peel off the skin. Work your way around the ginger root, peeling only as much as you think you will use. You can also use a blunt knife to peel the skin.
Chopping – Slice the root across the grain of the fibers into thin coins (small potato chips). Stack the coins and cut them into sticks and then the sticks small pieces.
Additional Ingredients – You can add other fruits or vegetables such as strawberry, pear, green apple, spinach, baby spinach, kale, or carrots and experiment with the taste of this smoothie.
To amp up the protein, add a scoop of protein powder or ½ cup of Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt also makes the smoothie creamier.
You can also add nut butters like almond butter, pistachio butter or cashew butter.
Additional Sweetener – If you feel the sweetness is not up to the mark, then you can add in sweeteners such as honey, maple syrup, dates, etc. Sugar-free substitutes like stevia or monk fruit also work fine.
Celery has many benefits when consumed in moderate amount
- It is considered great for digestion, treats constipation and other stomach-related issues, as it is high in fiber. The fiber also keeps your cardiovascular system healthy.
- It is loaded with antioxidants and is rich in vitamin A, which will give you stronger immunity, healthier skin, and better eyes.
- Packed with vitamins and minerals, celery also has a low glycemic index. It is also known to lower down cholesterol levels.
- It is a low-calorie food, so include it in your weight loss diet.
- Also reduces stress hormones.
Celery Side Effects
While celery has many health benefits, eating it in excess quantity can cause harm your body
- Excess intake of celery can lead to allergic reactions such as skin inflammation and sunburn.
- Though it has high salt content and is very low in calories, it can lead you to malnutrition.
- It is high in fiber and thought fiber is good for our body, excess of it can lead to bloating, gas, and other digestive problems.
How to make Celery Smoothie?
Chop 4 stalks of celery. Add chopped celery, 1 large banana (frozen), chopped 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, ½ cup peeled and cubed cucumber, and 1 cup chilled fresh orange juice to a blender.
Blend until smooth. Pour the smoothie in 2 serving glasses and serve immediately.
Celery smoothie tastes best when made fresh. If you still have leftovers, then store them in a mason jar or a covered glass container for about 1 day in the refrigerator, not more than that. Stir it well before consuming.
You might also like
Celery Smoothie Recipe
- 4 stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 large banana (Peeled, cubed and frozen)
- 1 inch piece of ginger (chopped)
- ½ cup peeled and cubed cucumber
- 1 cup orange juice (chilled)
- Add chopped celery, frozen banana, chopped fresh ginger, chopped cucumber, and chilled fresh orange juice to a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Pour the smoothie in 2 serving glasses and serve immediately.